• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have a lady friend who lives within three quarters of a mile of Deepdale and she's hearing on the grapevine that Preston are interested in yet another of our players, and thinks it might be Sparkes.
Why can't their kit-man just fess up and admit he printed way too many shirts with 'JS' on them...

Grecian2K

Does the JS stand for Just Sold?

jrg333

Was George Friend ever a winger?
No. He was a striker in his youth. You can keep trying to think of examples, but I am right about this. No kid starts out wanting to be a left back. It's just a fact.

Excerpt from interview with George Friend:

"I wanted to be a rugby player but at 16 Exeter made me make a decision about the sport I preferred. I stuck with football. I was a fly-half at the time, I was probably not the right shape for rugby anyway!
"As a footballer I started off as a striker, scoring ten goals or whatever - if you can believe I used to score goals - and went to college, didn't do the YTS thing.

jrg333

This definitely isn’t true.
It is true. All defenders were attackers in their youth teams, even people like John Terry used to score 40+ a season in his youth team.

IndoMike

No. He was a striker in his youth. You can keep trying to think of examples, but I am right about this. No kid starts out wanting to be a left back. It's just a fact.

Excerpt from interview with George Friend:

"I wanted to be a rugby player but at 16 Exeter made me make a decision about the sport I preferred. I stuck with football. I was a fly-half at the time, I was probably not the right shape for rugby anyway!
"As a footballer I started off as a striker, scoring ten goals or whatever - if you can believe I used to score goals - and went to college, didn't do the YTS thing.

It's a bit of a mahoosive conclusion to state categorically that no kid starts out wanting to be a full back. Maybe some kids had footballing heroes who were full backs and wanted to be them. Where are your data to back it up?
I realize that several very young kids might want to be goal scorers, but I still think their preferences might also include other positions.

jimbo-gould

It is true. All defenders were attackers in their youth teams, even people like John Terry used to score 40+ a season in his youth team.
I was a full back by choice. Idolised Gary Neville. But you know that no one wants to be one.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interview pre-Orient with Jack

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Now it's Jack Sparkes to answer weird questions from City fans

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A good interview with Sparkes, well worth 4½ minutes of your time

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Sparkes was outstanding 2nd half vs Orient.