• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What was the last pub you visited...

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
It wasn't on the menu, but that's no guarantee.

To be perfectly honest, and keep this to yourself, i find the traditional roast to be somewhat over-rated. There's nothing unpleasant about it, it's just a bit dull.
So what would be your dream dish at a decent everyday pub ??

ps. I'm with you regarding roasts, I enjoy a good roast at home however if I'm at a pub I will very rarely order one or a carvery for that matter.

Last edited:

LOG

So what would be your dream dish at a decent everyday pub ??

ps. I'm with you regarding roasts, I enjoy a good roast at home however if I'm at a pub I will very rarely order one or a carvery for that matter.
I have to say that when we got there i was slightly disappointed that they were only serving roasts as there was no mention of it on their website and i'd set me heart on a steak.

No particular preference dish wise although i do like a juicy burger, me. My only rule at the traditional pub is to avoid what i'll loosely term as "foreign" food such as curries or pasta dishes. If you want a curry, go to a curry house because the one you'll get in the pub will probably be a bit ****e.

wemissmoxey

I have to say that when we got there i was slightly disappointed that they were only serving roasts as there was no mention of it on their website and i'd set me heart on a steak.
I often feel a steak is overrated at anything between £14 - £22 a pop, I very rarely have a steak and think fuuuuuccckk me that was fantastic.

Like you say a good quality burger can be a very pleasing option.

I've had some decent curries at some good country pubs, had one last week at the Duke of York, Iddesleigh, very good quality beef madras and lots of it.

Last edited:

Silver fox

Are you giving this establishment a strong (y) for Sunday luncheon Mr Dozen ? Foxy's view also sought please.
Good value and all home cooked fresh veg, choice of four meats and I usually have a bit of all four, not that I'm greedy but just make out you can't make your mind up!! And the chef will offer you that,and free upgrade for The Fox family last time B-) large plate for the price of regular... Red cabbage in red wine is great, cauliflower cheese is always spot on, normally 4 or 5 other veg as well as home made roasties,Yorkshire puds and cocktail sausages..Not bad for £6, although Alistair your probably used to AP's fine dinning establishments in the Cotswolds :D

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you giving this establishment a strong (y) for Sunday luncheon Mr Dozen ? Foxy's view also sought please.
Absolutely ! echo Foxy's comments above.

To summarise excellent food , excellent staff , excellent value.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Plough at Kelmscott.

Moored up, quick pint, shoved off.

mammooman

The Anchor at Cockwood nr Starcross for a swift Otter this lunchtime. Sat outside watching the trains, boats in the harbour and Brent Geese flying in. Proper job.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Royal Oak Okehampton Street

Avening Posse

Good value and all home cooked fresh veg, choice of four meats and I usually have a bit of all four, not that I'm greedy but just make out you can't make your mind up!! And the chef will offer you that,and free upgrade for The Fox family last time B-) large plate for the price of regular... Red cabbage in red wine is great, cauliflower cheese is always spot on, normally 4 or 5 other veg as well as home made roasties,Yorkshire puds and cocktail sausages..Not bad for £6, although Alistair your probably used to AP's fine dinning establishments in the Cotswolds :D
Hey, I appreciate good value as much as the next man Foxy !.... I must confess I have never been anywhere in my life where they give you a bigger plate if you go there a couple of times !!

Silver fox

Hey, I appreciate good value as much as the next man Foxy !.... I must confess I have never been anywhere in my life where they give you a bigger plate if you go there a couple of times !!
When the Fox Mafia swagger in, everyone bows down AP.. B-)

Last edited: