• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town vs Exeter City Official matchday thread!

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not only that save, he commanded his 6 yard box very well.
Indeed he did RD and even came for crosses.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was it me or did added time seem to go on for ages?! another three points racked up....onto Morecambe we go. My Video of GC's goal is on its way! I will share it tomorrow.
UTC

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Solid performance that. After going 1-0 up we were in complete control up until they got a freak goal at the end which led to them having some genuinely huge chances to steal a point. A lovely finish from Tom for the first, lobbing the ball over the keeper. He wasted a very good chance in the second half too when Cummins flicked the ball to him at the back post but he hit it well over the bar. The second goal occured when Holmes and McCready both walked over to take the corner on the left of us, with the Cheltenham players expecting one to play it to the other they were fooled and Davies found himself unmarked, recieved the ball, made his way into the box, his shot was not held by the keeper and Cummins was on hand to bury it from 6 yards. No idea what happened with their goal. Went down as a JMT own goal but it just looked so strange it's hard to actually know what happened. This led to a lot of pressure from Cheltenham. Balls were launched into our box. They missed a sitter, Pym made a great save low at his post, their keeper came up for a corner but we just about held on.

Cummins my man of the match. He really was superb. Held the ball up well, won a lot of fouls and never stopped working. I was very pleased he got the goal and he got a standing ovation from the whole of the City fans. McCallister had a very good game. I agree with W&S that he has been a good signing from Tis. You can tell he was playing far above this level last year. Ribeiro again was impressive. Fast, strong, good in the air, can tackle, what more can you ask for from a makeshift centre back? Pym had a very good game considering how little time he must of had to prepare and so soon after the obvious disappointment of being left out the England squad. Everyone played well for me. McCready has something about him which I like and I think he'll be able to do a good job for us.

A good, comfortable performance from us right up until the 89th minute where we so almost threw it all away. Still, 3 points in the bag and now only 4 off the playoffs. Do we dare to dream?

Last edited:

Silver fox

Was it me or did added time seem to go on for ages?! another three points racked up....onto Morecambe we go. My Video of GC's goal is on its way! I will share it tomorrow.
UTC
Seemed like 15mins greg, looking forward to your video matey (y)

motorservices

enjoyed the day, a little worried in the last 5 mins but pleased with another 3pts

The playoffs are in our hands................who would have thought that after we got smashed by plimuff

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Delighted for Cummins - given the right service I think he's capable of getting 10-12 goals a season

grecian55

Delighted for Cummins - given the right service I think he's capable of getting 10-12 goals a season
Is that why Holmes has been brought in ?

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
**** Pym
Davies Ribs JMT Mcallister
Oakley
Sercs Harley
Wheeler Cummins Nichols

Did we really play this shape, with the full backs pushing far enough on so that two wider forwards could stay as an outlet and attacking force?

If so - and forgive me, I've only seen York recently which was a much more defensive set-up as we tried to steady ourselves following Jan/Feb wobble - have we played that way much before.

It's been my favourtie formation for a few years, and I think it's really well suited to lower division football - in particular giving pairs of old-fashioned centre halves a really tricky afternoon.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Having endured 14 games this season and witnessed no wins (yes, really), it was a bit of a relief to finally see one! Cheltenham were shocking and will go down but we were solid and deserved the win. I've always liked Cummins and hope we retain him, he was great yesterday and loved the passion in his celebration with city fans. McCready surprised me, looks very decent.

Playoffs seem unlikely but hopefully with 3 points against Morecambe should make for a lively Easter bank holiday. Would love to pip Argyle to the post, especially after the two crap matches against them.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched the highlights - great finish from Tom for the first. He really is the new Cureton :)