• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC - action from the archives

Mark Tyler

You might be interested in taking a look at some archived local football action which is now available on line.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-plymouth-argyle-v-exeter-city-1976/

Linked to several other clips and matches which have just been made available.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
You might be interested in taking a look at some archived local football action which is now available on line.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-plymouth-argyle-v-exeter-city-1976/

Linked to several other clips and matches which have just been made available.

Interesting stuff Mr Tyler. Sadly the violence clip reminds of just how basic and casual hooliganism was. Guess the scrote running on the pitch must be about 60 now and the kid who got done cant be far off it. More match action would be much appreciated.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Good to see. A shame it didn't include our winning goal but still nice to see.

Didn't look like we had too many fans down there. Was that typical of the time, or was the league cup being a newish competition not that highly thought of?

Oldsmobile-88

Good to see. A shame it didn't include our winning goal but still nice to see.

Didn't look like we had too many fans down there. Was that typical of the time, or was the league cup being a newish competition not that highly thought of?
No segregation in those days..Every one was scattered around the ground.Unless you wanted a good kicking you kept a low profile..8,600 at Home Park that day, It was Tony Fellows debut as well iirc (he scored)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
When did segregation begin? Having read about the football violence in the seventies had assumed there were away ends at that point. Was there a particular year when the st James road terrace for example started to be used for away fans?

Oldsmobile-88

When did segregation begin? Was there a particular year when the st James road terrace for example started to be used for away fans?
About 1979 at SJP...I stood on the SJ end before that date..Never much away support at SJP prior to 1975.Away fans who did turn up generally went into the Grandstand...
Any away coach that turned up always dropped off and collected at the coach station.

iscalad

No segregation in those days..Every one was scattered around the ground.Unless you wanted a good kicking you kept a low profile..8,600 at Home Park that day, It was Tony Fellows debut as well iirc (he scored)
My late wife and I stood in the stand surrounded by Argyle fans. I was younger and braver in those days.

Oldsmobile-88

My late wife and I stood in the stand surrounded by Argyle fans. I was younger and braver in those days.
Yep..Though I was a bit foolhardy as well(I was 16 !)..I was stood in the Paddock of the Mayflower stand and myself and a friend got booted when we forgot ourselves and cheered at the wrong moment !...
I remember going down on a Boxing Day in 1977 & only one coach went to Home Park.No trains either and not that many would have gone by car in those days..A unthinkable small travelling support these days...Always a good turnout at Plainmoor & less chance of getting turned over.

iscalad

My late cousin, from Ivybridge, was an Argyle supporter. We always stood with him.

ronniej

About 1979 at SJP...I stood on the SJ end before that date..Never much away support at SJP prior to 1975.Away fans who did turn up generally went into the Grandstand...
Any away coach that turned up always dropped off and collected at the coach station.
plymouth used to get put in st James road end .They had that famous banner up on the fence in the mid seventies proclaiming they were all ****ing mental .No change there then.