• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Oxford United Matchday Thread

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
:D Dennis Wise maybe.
Ernie Wise more like.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale out ,we never looked in it tonight. Enough is enough. I thought we were meant to be looking to get in the play offs but no instead we are way below par it seems that no one will want to take on the job & be willing to put a tackle in, it was more like a training exercise for Oxford, they didn't even have to break sweat. They had won by half time. The next home game the attendance will be in the hundreds not the thousands.its simple mistakes again that we need to brush up on & quick. Bring on Stevenage, they will be licking their lips all they need to do was turn up & theres 3 points for the taking for them.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's as poor as I've seen us for many a year. It really felt like a return to the late 90s/early 00s when we were perennially rubbish.

Either Tisdale is still undertaking this crazy squad rotation experiment, or he's completely run out of ideas. I can't for the life of me think of any other reason that he shows such inconsistency with his team selections all over the park. The constant changes have left the team with no identity, no personality, no collective sense of game plan. I feel for the players (as ****e as they were), they look totally confused. They haven't gelled as a team because there is no consistent starting XI or consistent game plan. They look rusty because the majority of them only start 70% of the games. How can anyone hit form when they are dropped for no reason after a couple of games? And how can any young player feel that they can force their way into the starting XI when there is no clear 'best team'?

If it's squad rotation then Tisdale has got it completely wrong. We're going to enter the last 1/4 of the season with a huge squad full of fresh legs but with absolutely no form and no confidence, with nothing to play for. Tisdale has bought a squad but neglected to build a team. For that he should be relieved of his duties, even if it costs us to do so. It will be a sound investment in the longer term.

If the tinkering is because he's run out of ideas then the same applies. Thanks for the memories, here's your pay-off, bye bye Tis.

davecg

Just like to see us get back to basics.
I would be playing 442 at Stevenage. Nicholls one side, Holmes the other and have Manny and McCready in the middle. Lets have a midfield that works hard, can tackle, has the legs to close teams down and isn't obsessed with short passing. Lets use players in their actual positions and use the wealth of width we have in the squad for its primary reason, to beat people and get the ball in the box. We have the likes of Grant, Holmes, Wheeler, Nicholls, Watkins... all with pace, and we even have Stockley and Wheeler, when used up front, who can win a header. Yet Tis persists with dragging all that width central.... I just don't get it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Tisdale "No excuses" http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/article/tis-no-excuses-2970713.aspx

I switched the radio commentary off last night, I couldn't bear to listen any more!

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

I haven't felt like I did last night for 13 years...our 2-5 home defeat to Kidderminster Harriers on 18 February 2003. We looked just as clueless last night as we did back then.

oxford don

It's when I read disrespectful crud like this from someone continuously posting complete bollix wrapped up as fact that I just decide to dig my heels in and do what I always intended and that is to wait until the end of the season before I judge the manager's performance. You know absolutely nothing for a fact Mr Don.

Yep Happy Clapper...QED.

Oh yes I do...and you don't..;)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Tisdale "No excuses" http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/article/tis-no-excuses-2970713.aspx

I switched the radio commentary off last night, I couldn't bear to listen any more!
"There’s a fault in what we did today. I don’t know how it got, in the space of four games, to where it did today. From three straight wins to how we played today, I don’t have all the answers straight away. I have to look at it and we have to make sure we get ourselves connected and together and that’s in every aspect - it’s not just about one moment, we didn’t look like a footballing side throughout the game tonight. We didn’t pass the ball well enough, and it was a generally dismal display."

So...how about trying, just as an experiment, when you've had your look for answers, deciding what is your best and most effective starting lineup (without playing players out of their natural positions), sticking to it from game to game (barring unpredictable injuries etc.), allowing that band of players to gel together in competitive games, leaving Clinton at home, playing with real width and utilising the excellent wingers we have as wingers and employing some motivational skills? Worth a try??

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
"There’s a fault in what we did today. I don’t know how it got, in the space of four games, to where it did today. From three straight wins to how we played today, I don’t have all the answers straight away. I have to look at it and we have to make sure we get ourselves connected and together and that’s in every aspect - it’s not just about one moment, we didn’t look like a footballing side throughout the game tonight. We didn’t pass the ball well enough, and it was a generally dismal display."

So...how about trying, just as an experiment, when you've had your look for answers, deciding what is your best and most effective starting lineup (without playing players out of their natural positions), sticking to it from game to game (barring unpredictable injuries etc.), allowing that band of players to gel together in competitive games, leaving Clinton at home, playing with real width and utilising the excellent wingers we have as wingers and employing some motivational skills? Worth a try??
Couldn't agree more.

Too late though now, this season has been wasted as Tis has never figured out his best team.

Travelled down fron Wilts with my Oxford supporting mate.
What an embarrassment of a performance.If league points were awarded for passing to the opposition we'd be top of the league.How we can go from performances like the away win at Orient to repeated dross like last night I really don't know.Only Tis could achieve it.
After several years of the same old carp it seems obvious to all except him that filling your team with light-weight small lads is not going to make competing with big,fast,powerful lads like Oxford had throughout their team easy.
The myth that JMT,Troy & Tillson are a decent defensive unit was finally exposed last night.