• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Televised game?

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly off topic , but an interesting development http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39797400

Mr.Sparkle

Slightly off topic , but an interesting development http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39797400
See posts 16 and 18 on this thread...............

Terryhall

Also saw that article for the first time today. £110 is a bargain if the feed is reliable - but I wonder who will do the commentary (or will it just be a visual feed)?

As long as they sync up OK I guess you could have the live stream alongside Grecian Player and get the benefit of Sohail Sahi's wisdom whilst watching the match.

Other (as yet probably unanswered questions)

- Will pubs / be able to get these live streams through a commercial licence, or just individuals? Can imagine for a tasty champo game, there would be a crowd who might be interested.
- Is that £110 per club, or to get access to the live stream service for the whole EFL?

If this does include commentary, then it's going to be a real game-changer for Grecian Player.

eurogrecian

Good news for our fans in Arizona, Switzerland and Indonesia...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39797400
Looks like fantastic news!
When I left the UK, I mostly relied on match report clippings from the E&E sent out by a relative. Now the holy grail - live streaming!
Happy as Larry.

ECFC89

Really hope this does not set a precedent to the changing of rules in regards to televised games at 3pm. Will kill attendances across lower league football.

Boyo

Really hope this does not set a precedent to the changing of rules in regards to televised games at 3pm. Will kill attendances across lower league football.
I echo those concerns. Although the target audience is clearly international, the risk is that these streams become available in the UK (by masking IP addresses, live streaming via social media etc). If that is the case then surely it will have a huge impact on attendances, particularly away fans. Personally I’d always much rather be at the game, but there’s a huge convenience factor and cost saving of just streaming it live – I would be tempted.

contrabombarde

I echo those concerns. Although the target audience is clearly international, the risk is that these streams become available in the UK (by masking IP addresses, live streaming via social media etc). If that is the case then surely it will have a huge impact on attendances, particularly away fans. Personally I’d always much rather be at the game, but there’s a huge convenience factor and cost saving of just streaming it live – I would be tempted.
I agree with all of that too, and I have often wondered if the likes of Grecian player has already had this effect. Although there is nothing to beat a live match it can I am sure be very tempting to stay at home and listen to the wireless on a cold and wet and windy day.

SDRighton

That absolutely won't happen. However, as others have mentioned, it may indirectly/illegally happen given the likely ease with which UK-based supporters will be able to access these streams.

At face value, for someone based abroad like me, this is absolutely brilliant news.

Red Bill

This came up briefly at that EFL fans forum I went last week. If I'm remembering this right, the ban on showing live matches has only ever been for matches shown at 3pm in the country of origin, its always been permissible to show them live in another country. So I think this doesn't represent a change to any rules, merely the establishment of a TV package.

(pretty sure thats what they said but it was an intensely boring event and I was losing the will to live by the time this came up, so don't hold me to it!)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good news for our fans in Arizona, Switzerland and Indonesia...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39797400
Oh my God. My life has just been changed.

110 quid? Just tell me where to sign...