• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Remaining Fixtures

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still 7th but which teams do we now think are the biggest threat to our chances of finishing in 7th place?

At this time of the season more than ever it is near impossible to predict results. Prior to today Swindon were a real threat but losing at home to Crewe leaves them with a potential final points total of only 64 so they are no longer a threat.

Colchester final potential points total 70. However their two remaining games are home to MK Dons and away to Lincoln so likely total 64 points.

Carlisle despite losing today are still a threat final potential points total 70. Last two games home to Crawley and away Yeovil so if today proves to be just a blip a likely total of 70 points.

Stevenage final potential points total 70 remaining games away Mansfield and home Cheltenham so likely total 67 points.

Newport potential 73 points next game home to Lincoln then their game in hand home to Oldham last game away to Morecambe so very much a threat but if Lincoln can do us a favour this would reduce their likely total to 70 points.

Oldham potential 71 points next game away to City then the game in hand away at Newport last game home to Northampton. Our game against them really is a huge six pointer. A win for us would reduce their points potential to 68 leaving ourselves on 69 points with a potential of 72.

We definitely want Oldham to beat Newport reducing the latter’s potential points total to 70. A win or draw for Newport, the latter leaving them on a potential of 71 points, would mean a draw away to FGR would not be enough and we would need all three points to pip them to the post.

Finishing level on points would also see us over the line as we have a far superior GD ours currently plus 10 Newport’s minus 3.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think I would prefer Oldham and Newport to be a draw and it is back in our hands. Especially would not want an Oldham win if they have beaten us in the meanwhile.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Looking at the table and fixtures just makes my head hurt.

Given that we have got five points from the last eighteen available it doesn't look like we are good enough for the play offs , let alone going up, but somehow we are still in seventh place showing what a close division it is. In all likelihood you wouldn't expect us to win our last two or maybe even get four points but we have no choice but to try, and if you look at fine margins we have lost points due in part to bowman having two goals chalked off, a soft penalty given against us and several efforts not going in due to the woodwork and goal line clearances. Oldham home should be open as Oldham really need the three points, they could draw and win the other two but that might not be enough. If we don't fall behind it means we are unlikely to see an opposition wasting time.

we need Lincoln to pick something up at Newport. Not a given as they have now won the league, Newport v Oldham could be a six pointer but if we beat Oldham as we hope that would put them out of the picture which could effect this game, would expect Newport to win at Morecambe on last day but would have to hope for a shock if it's not in our hands.

If we can get at least four points the sides chasing with two to play can only finish level with us, with probably only Carlisle being likely to over haul our goal difference.

We just have to hope we win on Saturday, although a point still keeps it open, with us then hoping Oldham beat or draw with Newport. If it goes to the final game forest green could be an advantage if they can't get top three and they have one eye on the play offs, or then again if they can get top three they have to go flat out for a win which might leave gaps for our attacks.

And all of this to possibly get to play MK Dons over two legs which would either be the best or worst feeling of any play off semi. Part of me wants MK to blow the autos in the hope they blow the play offs, part of me feels it might be easier if they go up so we play someone else. If we drop down to eighth then hopefully someone else beats them. I can't remember such a close finish with possibly two auto spots still up for grabs on the final day.

If you have read this, you're head probably hurts as well now.

IndoMike

When Oldham play Newport we need both to lose :(

Colesman Ballz

When Oldham play Newport we need both to lose :(
As the song goes "That ain't necessarily so", if we beat Oldham on Saturday they are out of contention, so you will no doubt be pleased to learn, we only need Oldham to win and just Newport to lose ! Just bleddy well got to make sure we beat Oldham !

Last edited:

PeteUSA

If we beat Oldham on Saturday they are out of contention, so you will no doubt be pleased to learn, we only need Oldham to win and just Newport to lose ! Just bleddy well got to make sure we beat Oldham !
Thats it in a nutshell. We need to go into our last two games like our lives depend on it! Throw everything, including the kitchen sink to ensure we get 6 points. Its all about Newport as far as we're concerned. They've got a game in hand, but I dont think they'll get consecutive wins to leapfrog us! They've come from nowhere to be in contention, I dont think they're good enough to get maximum points v Lincoln, Oldham, and Morecambe.

IndoMike

As the song goes "That ain't necessarily so", if we beat Oldham on Saturday they are out of contention, so you will no doubt be pleased to learn, we only need Oldham to win and just Newport to lose ! Just bleddy well got to make sure we beat Oldham !
Problem is, if Oldham are out of the picture, they may or may not care about beating Newport. On the other hand, I guess they'll want to than their fans with a win. Who knows.

fred binneys head

Here’s a question: if we go into the last game of the season against Forest Green needing something from the game, and they are guaranteed a play off spot, will Mark Cooper do us a favour and rest some players?

fred binneys head

I reckon this weekend we beat Oldham, and Newport, Stevenage, Colchester and Carlisle all lose. We then breathe out.

Oldsmobile-88

Here’s a question: if we go into the last game of the season against Forest Green needing something from the game, and they are guaranteed a play off spot, will Mark Cooper do us a favour and rest some players?
The way the top of the division is looking it’s just as likely that FGR would need to beat us to potentially get into the autos.

Last edited: