• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite away ground

Legohead

Banned
We all use a different criteria for our personal favourites..Ambience,Atmosphere.Athestics being the main drivers for most.

I look at the ease of location when arriving in the town/city where the Grecians are playing.
Same here. I look at easy parking options or if it's near a rail station. Derby for example is excellent for a game on the train but a bit of an arse to park unless you arrive an hour or so before kick off. This is why I hate Shrewsbury. It's out of town so crap for public transport but they do that awful park and ride which i'd never dream of doing. Therefore you'd have thought they would have ensured plenty of parking at and around the ground but there isn't. It's a pain in the arse and a deterrent to attending if i'm honest.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I loved Nene Park - I left home for one FA trophy at 2.50 and made it in time 😉

Brentford current ground for me - the noise we made in there was phenomenal

Leads

Yes, absolutely. Still hate it though and feel it shouldn't be done.
I do agree with you by the way!

A lot of votes for Brentford which I agree with. Shame the ground is soon to be no more.

Legohead

Banned
I loved Nene Park - I left home for one FA trophy at 2.50 and made it in time 😉

Brentford current ground for me - the noise we made in there was phenomenal
I remember Nene Park. Went there once to watch Rushden v York. IIRC it had a sort of countryside cycle path running from the ground to somewhere or other as I decided to have a walk down it. Real shame it's gone now. I saw a youtube video a few years ago of these yoofs who broke into the ground when it was closed and half demolished and it was a bit eerie. They were in the boardroom and other rooms were still in tact.

chrisw

I remember Nene Park. Went there once to watch Rushden v York. IIRC it had a sort of countryside cycle path running from the ground to somewhere or other as I decided to have a walk down it. Real shame it's gone now. I saw a youtube video a few years ago of these yoofs who broke into the ground when it was closed and half demolished and it was a bit eerie. They were in the boardroom and other rooms were still in tact.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Not an ECFC away ground but as someone who visits Japan quite often it is hard to beat the atmosphere at Saitama Stadium. Home of Urawa Red Diamonds.
Bit like a two sided John Smith's Stadium which is also my favourite English ground( 1-0 anyone?) Sometimes the J league football is not the best but the fans are really fanatical and make a lot of noise when there is a big attendance.

Attachments

Surely The Mem is a "proper" rugby ground 😉.

Cheers! Thanks for that! I always did wonder why it was 15 a side and we won it 23-7! 😁😁😁😁😁

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do agree with you by the way!

A lot of votes for Brentford which I agree with. Shame the ground is soon to be no more.
I have high hopes for their new ground which is starting to look really impressive, and unique in its design. My only reservation is whether the steep raking of the seats will be vertigo inducing. Close to the old ground, good transport links, and importantly a number of very fine hostelries a short walk away, particularly the riverside ones at Strand on the Green.

Check it out on their Club Website. Grecians will feel right at home as there is even a corner chopped off due to an adjacent railway track !

Last edited:

eurogrecian

Luton is a great visit. The town is an eye-opener and the ground proper quirky.
Took a French friend last time we played there and he still can't get over peeping into somebody's bathroom on your way in!

For atmosphere, I only ever went to Newcastle once for the FA Cup in 1981, but it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Passion beyond anything I've ever seen before or since.

TOP_CITY_FAN

Pompey, Aldershot & Walsall are my 3 favourites. Always tend to take decent numbers and can make solid noise in all 3.

Also, shout to Crawley. The half decent record helps mind.