• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Classic Matches

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember going to the Vetch at the start of one season (first game), bright sunshine, 200 or so City fans there and the new Swansea mascot (Cyril the Swan) abseiled down from the top of one of the stands and ran towards the big stand on the side of the pitch arms outstretched to massive cheers and singing from the Swansea fans. Surreal.
I seem to recall some one abseiling from a stand on MOTD or TBM way back then, only for them to get stuck or something. Can anyone recall that ?

Oldsmobile-88

I seem to recall some one abseiling from a stand on MOTD or TBM way back then, only for them to get stuck or something. Can anyone recall that ?
I seem to recall a parachutist getting stuck on a stand.

Colesman Ballz

I seem to recall a parachutist getting stuck on a stand.
Yes, that is what I was thinking of Olds ! Possibly at Villa Pk or somewhere else in the Midlands ?

Oldsmobile-88

Yes, that is what I was thinking of Olds ! Possibly at Villa Pk or somewhere else in the Midlands ?
Villa Park rings a bell.

LOG

This perhaps? He probably wished he had been stuck on the stand:

There is footage on You Tube but it's not very nice.

Red Devon

Oxford away 05/05/1984 ( Manor Ground )

With Oxford already promoted and sitting pretty at the top of 3rd Division table City arrived at the Manor Ground rock bottom of the table and already relegated. Hopes were not high amongst the handful of City fans who had made the trip on the big open away terrace behind one of the goals. The match was going pretty much to plan for the home fans who were in full flow until John Sims bundled home a late leveller for the Grecians, the final whistle soon followed with the game ending 1:1.Not really a classic I know but it was probably the highlight of what was a desperately disappointing season in 83/84.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Beat them at SJP too..The only team in the 3rd Division to take 4 points off the Champions that season iirc...Incredible when the Grecians only got 33 points all season.

Red Devon

^^^^
Beat them at SJP too..The only team in the 3rd Division to take 4 points off the Champions that season iirc...Incredible when the Grecians only got 33 points all season.
Did we have a caretaker manger at the Manor Ground or was Gerry Francis still in charge.

Oldsmobile-88

Did we have a caretaker manger at the Manor Ground or was Gerry Francis still in charge.
Francis was still in charge,he was relieved of command 2 days later after the BH Monday game at home to Bournemouth iirc...I can’t remember who was the caretaker for the final away game at Millwall.

Red Devon

Francis was still in charge,he was relieved of command 2 days later after the BH Monday game at home to Bournemouth iirc...I can’t remember who was the caretaker for the final away game at Millwall.
Could have been Delvey