• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok
I believe that is incorrect Mike. If the US Government did find it necessary for a while it was because the Boeing business was being seriously undermined. Here is another err, link..

OK Stuffers. I think you're saying that because Airbus was subsidised first then the US subsidised Boeing in retaliation.
To be honest, the business world and trade is getting so complicated that it's difficult to follow who did what and when.

elginCity

Unless the English grievance is addressed the next UK schism is the end of the Union at the hands of the English.....
The supposed English 'grievance' regards the Barnet formula could be addressed by the British government, the formula is not set in stone.

As with the supposed English 'grievances' regards the EU, which could equally have been addressed by the British government.

You have to wonder whether the English nationalist/Brexiter ever considers the consequences of its ending a Union.

Should the 14 British Overseas Territories become English citizens by default, and the English taxpayer alone coughs up for their protection, or just keep the lucrative Cayman and Virgin islands ? British forces bases overseas in Cyprus and FI become English bases ? Monarchy ?

The next time the English decide to end a Union, I hope they've learned, and have a viable plan in place at the very least.

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stuffy, For me i respect your view that you think an EU Army is coming but for me there are two things, I don't think it will happen, Even at the height of the Cold War we had Nato and the Soviets had The Warsaw Pact, All the nations had their own Armies but under the umbrella of an organisation which is a much more likely scenario if those EU countries want out of Nato and my second view is, If it happens so what, We're not in the EU now and have nothing to do with their decision making, So let them get on with it.

If EU countries have to buy weapons from other EU countries then that's up to them, They signed up for it so if they end up being the rules, Again nothing to do with us, As we are told by our Government there is a whole world to sell killing machines to so that's what we'll try to do. Again so what if the French, Germans and the EU are bedfellows, It was our decision to leave and we will have to compete with them when trying to sell all sorts of stuff, including arms sales, We have to make sure ours are better quaility and better value than the EU, That's captialism isn't it? Or is it not the right sort of capitalism you want or expected? If the WTO says the EU is ilegally subsidising Airbus then surely we're benefitting from that as we have lots of people employed by Airbus in the UK?

I'm have no interest in Jeff Taylor, He may quote a retired General but have you thought things have moved on since 2009 when the General retired? Jeff Taylor is a loon and i stand by that, Read a lot of his previous postings and you might get to see that.
We will simply have to agree to disagree regarding the formation of an EU Army - but keep your eyes peeled.

I think it's only a matter of time before Brussels tells it's 27 individual countries exactly what it 'can and cannot have' and choice won't have nothing to do with it. Rest assured the French and Germans will be filling their jackboots to the very brim. Our Tony Blair tried hard on TV to join those two countries on the uppermost branch of the EU tree and was very publicly put in his place by President Chirac of France.

Forget about Jeff Taylor DB, I needed his column to get General Riley's point of view across. And, as a matter of opinion, I think General Riley's views are relevant today and as I see it, very much what the EU will look like in the future.

arthur

The supposed English 'grievance' regards the Barnet formula could be addressed by the British government, the formula is not set in stone.

As with the supposed English 'grievances' regards the EU, which could equally have been addressed by the British government.

You have to wonder whether the English nationalist/Brexiter ever considers the consequences of its ending a Union.

Should the 14 British Overseas Territories become English citizens by default, and the English taxpayer alone coughs up for their protection, or just keep the lucrative Cayman and Virgin islands ? British forces bases overseas in Cyprus and FI become English bases ? Monarchy ?

The next time the English decide to end a Union, I hope they've learned, and have a viable plan in place at the very least.
Someone called Tavyred took great issue with me a year or two ago when I talked about Brexit being bound up with English Nationalism and said, approximately, that I was talking rubbish.

I wonder what happened to him

elginCity

Strange that Scottish nationalists and Irish nationalists are so fervently pro-EU, I mean, why wouldn't they want to take back control ?

IndoMike

We will simply have to agree to disagree regarding the formation of an EU Army - but keep your eyes peeled.

I think it's only a matter of time before Brussels tells it's 27 individual countries exactly what it 'can and cannot have' and choice won't have nothing to do with it. Rest assured the French and Germans will be filling their jackboots to the very brim. Our Tony Blair tried hard on TV to join those two countries on the uppermost branch of the EU tree and was very publicly put in his place by President Chirac of France.

Forget about Jeff Taylor DB, I needed his column to get General Riley's point of view across. And, as a matter of opinion, I think General Riley's views are relevant today and as I see it, very much what the EU will look like in the future.
Just think that the French and Germans fought against each other in two world wars and the Germans occupied France, yet now they are buddies. If only all the warring nations could reach this point.

IndoMike

Just think that the French and Germans fought against each other in two world wars and the Germans occupied France, yet now they are buddies. If only all the warring nations could reach this point.

IndoMike

Sorry. My internet connection is very slow today possibly due to an earthquake and so i have doubled posted once or twice. Bleddy Ring
of Fire.

Grecian2K

And today's REAL enemies managed to duck out early in WW1 and (conveniently) change sides in WW2.

Still, as long as, for the foreseeable future, the (now indefinite President) Putin has the electoral fate and grubby secrets of the right wing western politicians in his nasty little ex-KGB mitts I guess he, at least, can sleep soundly for the next decade.

Perhaps the same can be said for Trump/Johnson/Farage & Co - as long as they can continue to supress their own "electoral reviews".

DB9

The 27 you think will tie in line to Brussels is a bit patronising to those countries, While we have decided to leave, We have no moral high ground and now just all we do is say the EU will do this and the EU will do that just because you've read it somewhere. Wait until it's official before saying independent nations will have to buckle under the "Jackboots" of Germany and France via the EU. As for you using the term "Jackboot" isn't that a little xenophobic and gives European's the impression that still the UK can't move forward and resorts to a stereotypical term when describing the Germans and even the French? Just asking like.