• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old Well St steps entrance.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I used those steps I am sure. remember how steep they were, if it has some space behind, would make a great hip kiosk
I know the NHS has long waiting lists but do you really think there will be many takers for a quick op on matchdays ! :cool:

Bri 'n' God3

That gate, turnstiles and steps were definitely still in use late 70's/ early 80's. So don't worry, I reckon the 81 memory is correct!

Bri 'n' God3

:)

WXF

Wasn't this called "The Grecian Gate" and had a sign to that effect over it ? I know that it has been suggested that it was closed due to the state of the masonry, but iirc another reason was that the steps discharged directly into the road and there was no footpath. An early example on "Elf 'n' safety" rearing it's ugly head ? :unsure:
Imagine there are many wishing health and safety had been more potent prior to the Bradford fire or Hillsborough disaster.

elginCity

Memory could well be playing tricks, but pretty sure there was once a small turnstile at the bottom of those steps.

Red Monster

Memory could well be playing tricks, but pretty sure there was once a small turnstile at the bottom of those steps.
Yep there was a turnstile there.

STURTZ

So, was the terraced area at the top of those steps once known as The Flower Pot enclosure.?

chunkymorrinmunter

Yep there was a turnstile there.
I thought it had a preservation order on it🤨

paperclip

That gate, turnstiles and steps were definitely still in use late 70's/ early 80's. So don't worry, I reckon the 81 memory is correct!
Thanks, that's good to hear!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've been searching for pictures of the gate in use, but have been unsuccessful. They exist!