• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Promotion celebrations

haka

Thinking back to earlier ones ...

1964: well before my time, but I can recall a retrospective much later, showing David Vine on Westward TV, with fans at (I think) St David's station. City's only "black and white" promotion!

1977: plenty of memories for this one, I was at school. After the Aldershot game (and pitch invasion) there was a bus from SJP to the Guildhall, and of course we wanted to be there from start to finish. When the players went into the civic reception I had the greatest moment in my young life - a handshake from Peter Hatch! *swoon*

I've still got the Echo Special clippings, sometime I'll get around to scanning and posting them.

A lot more, but enough for now ...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
1990..The celebrations were over 3 games at SJP.
Southend, Promotion clinched at home against our nearest challengers on a sunny evening.

On the Saturday the Championship wrapped up with a 3-2 win against Scarborough, despite Paul Dobson silencing the home crowd a couple of times with equalisers.

The trophy presentation & lap of honour prior to the rearranged game against Burnley the following week on a Tuesday evening.

The ’We’re going up as runaway Champions’ party at Lincoln was 32 years ago today - what a day that was - my one and only trip on a supporters coach.

Oldsmobile-88

The ’We’re going up as runaway Champions’ party at Lincoln was 32 years ago today - what a day that was - my one and only trip on a supporters coach.
That was a great day out..I drove a minibus up full of my work colleagues, I was not popular when it ran out of fuel just past Sowton Roundabout 🙄 The lads had to push it uphill to the Esso garage at Middlemoor 😁

StroudGrecian

Took the train up from London with a few friends, including my old mate Dom Sanders (RIP) - pretty much the perfect away day, we had a bit of trouble getting back to London but I can't now recall if that was due to the trains or the beer :cool:

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
1964: well before my time, but I can recall a retrospective much later, showing David Vine on Westward TV, with fans at (I think) St David's station. City's only "black and white" promotion!
Seem to recall a picture of Alan Banks at St. David's.

There was a trip to a schoolboy international match at Wembley on the day City clinched promotion. One of our teachers told us the news.

cannockred

Enjoy the day city fans. You, the supporters, had a huge hand in helping city get over the line.

I was a little more fortunate, sitting in the sun and biting my nails, watching on ifollow.

This parade is for the joint effort from city fans, players, management and the backroom guys .

Fantastic effort and well done to everyone associated with exeter city.

Colesman Ballz

Seem to recall a picture of Alan Banks at St. David's.

There was a trip to a schoolboy international match at Wembley on the day City clinched promotion. One of our teachers told us the news.
Iirc the team arrived about one o'clock on the Sunday lunchtime after a gruelling overnight trip from Workington (not by sleeper car either). The "famous" photo is of a home made sign being held up reading "Thanks Banks and all the Ranks" ! I very much doubt that it has survived , but surely it would a great piece for our Museum if it has.
I don't recall any sort of Civic Reception or open top bus ride, but the following Wednesday we beat Argyle at SJP in the Devon Bowl Final and walloped four goals past them in front of c.5000 fans. So this match sort of provided a double celebration ! :p

Martin Weiler

The Grecian Archive has a couple of photos at St David’s after the Workington promotion game. One Includes part of the ‘Thanks Banks’ placard:

Oldsmobile-88

My abiding memory after the Rotherham game was bumping into former poster P@ultice who could not resist a negative vibe, saying “How the fcku did this lot get promoted”. My simple reply was “ The League Table does not lie at the end of the season “ 😎