• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond

Red Monster

I'm all with the 'don't accept a rubbish offer' stance. But we have to recognise that we don't hold all the cards. When Pond is out of contract (the end of this season?) he can move to Scotland for 'training compensation' only .
From what I've read so far, Dawlish Buoy looks to have tracked down the relevant regs. There was the converse row when 16 year old Rory Wilson moved from Rangers to Aston Villa at the start of the month about abuse of the cross border transfer system (and an unfortunate echo of the Jay Stansfield move - Fulham got screwed by Liverpool over Harvey Elliott, so in turn screwed us. Rangers get screwed by Villa, so in turn....)
You’re right of course we don’t hold all the cards but we can shuffle
the pack .
We seem to have a good relationship with say Southampton, Villa etc
send him there for a week to train with them and if he does
well a deal from a English club would be financially better for us .

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's the worry isn't it. If Pond doesn't see development opportunities here for the next couple years what about Cox and Lee. Is it time to take a risk and say to Lee that he's got 8 games to prove he's worth a risk as first choice for the season.
I guess it depends on whether a young player thinks getting game time and proving themselves as League One level players outweighs the short term benefit of more money (may only be one year though before a better offer comes calling) whilst playing tippy tappy U23's football?

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's the worry isn't it. If Pond doesn't see development opportunities here for the next couple years what about Cox and Lee. Is it time to take a risk and say to Lee that he's got 8 games to prove he's worth a risk as first choice for the season.
KMT has made that judgement and has decided he’s not ready.

ExmouthMart

I find it astonishing that whoever is advising an 18 yr old without a league game to his name takes such a short term approach to grab at the first offer that comes their way! The example of Ollie in biding his time and taking the right move for himself at Brentford then getting himself a dream move to Villa ought to be a clear enough example of looking at the wider picture. Pond's stock after a season of league football would inevitably be much higher than his current situation of being a boy with potential who will end up in an U23's side. Yes he will inevitably treble his money by doing so but a little patience and the next offer would be considerably higher. I dont buy this idea that one injury can ruin your career - when nowadays do you find a player getting an injury that prevents him coming back into the game? Pond was so highly regarded by Matt Taylor that within 6 months he would have been playing games in our 1st team especially with Stubbs as he is. Short term isn't always the best option for building a career over 20 years
This is going to sound terrible but isn’t it about making as much as you can, as quickly as you can. These young lads see players earning £300000 a week and that’s what they are aiming for and all the material things that brings. If Pond thinks he can get a quicker pathway to that sort of earning and sign for one of the biggest clubs in the UK is that a bad thing for him?! If the Scottish Club meet our valuation which can’t be huge he will go or he will run down his contract and leave for even less. Can we afford to hold onto a player who doesn’t want to be here?! Hopefully this doesn’t set a precedent for other players at the Club.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is going to sound terrible but isn’t it about making as much as you can, as quickly as you can. These young lads see players earning £300000 a week and that’s what they are aiming for and all the material things that brings. If Pond thinks he can get a quicker pathway to that sort of earning and sign for one of the biggest clubs in the UK is that a bad thing for him?! If the Scottish Club meet our valuation which can’t be huge he will go or he will run down his contract and leave for even less. Can we afford to hold onto a player who doesn’t want to be here?! Hopefully this doesn’t set a precedent for other players at the Club.
You misunderstand my point/s. Firstly, the club has to be adequately recompensed for the development put into a young player and as you yourself have said we need this money to operate under our model. Secondly, I'm not saying the boy shouldn't be financially rewarded for his talents by moving away. My point was he should look at whether he would be financially rewarded more in 12 months time by getting himself seen as a League One standard player rather than ending up playing U23 football whether in Scotland or at a higher level English team

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you In The Know in disguise lol
No. Are you?

dommers

I guess it depends on whether a young player thinks getting game time and proving themselves as League One level players outweighs the short term benefit of more money (may only be one year though before a better offer comes calling) whilst playing tippy tappy U23's football?
But there not going to get game time at league one. If they were I agree it would be different

Banksy

Are you In The Know in disguise lol
They seek him here , they seek him there , they seek In The Know everywhere.

Agent Andy

Under FIFA regulations wouldn’t it be about £50,000 per season of training from age 15 plus a small amount per year of training from age 12 to 15? And the a small percentage of any transfer he is involved with later in his career.
There is a formula in place for compensation in Scotland , training compensation , but it’s nowhere near what we would get in England and it dosnt even go to tribunal, if this is the way young players are going to go then we are stuffed I’m afraid, I would think Matt Taylor is a bit ****** off by this to be honest

Banksy

Time to say it , ‘ What’s it all about Alfie ? ‘