• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cricket 2022

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Regarding the execrable "hundred" the very least they could have done is draft Sir Geoffrey in as a commentator.

Now that might have been worth listening to (if not actually watching)

Colesman Ballz

Regarding the execrable "hundred" the very least they could have done is draft Sir Geoffrey in as a commentator.

Now that might have been worth listening to (if not actually watching)
The irony of that does not escape me ! A nightmare vision of 3 not out off 59 balls running out 2 of his team mates in the process ! :p

Grecian2K

The irony of that does not escape me ! A nightmare vision of 3 not out off 59 balls running out 2 of his team mates in the process ! :p
Yep.
With Sir G at one end and Closey at the other Yorkshire alone would have shown that concept as the ludicrous conceit that it is and killed it at birth.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
James Hildreth has announced his retirement at the end of the season.

The end of an era in Somerset cricket. Unfortunately he never looked very happy which may have led to less appreciation of him and his achievements than is deserved. He was probably close to a Test call up at one point but the perceived Taunton batter's paradise may have swayed against that.

He was fielding just in front of me most of yesterday and looked very pensive and even distracted. I think he might also be carrying an injury. He was not at all fluent batting.

Thanks Hildy for all you have done for Somerset cricket and best wishes for the future.
Only Harold Gimblett and Tresco have scored more first-class runs for the County. Only those two + Viv Richards have scored more 100s. Thanks and all the best, Hildy.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marchant de Lange to join Gloucs.

Alistair20000

Another underwhelming RL performance yesterday from the Cidermen losing to Leicestershire. Will need a miracle now to get out of the group.

Alistair20000

Marchant de Lange to join Gloucs.
Marmite player. Can be very effective with his great pace but also far too expensive on an off day. Has a great tache along with Ben Green

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marmite player. Can be very effective with his great pace but also far too expensive on an off day. Has a great tache along with Ben Green
Perhaps he could bequeath it to the Club on his departure.

Reminds me of: "There's a fellow outside with a big black moustache." Groucho Marx: "Tell him I've already got one".

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somerset can't buy a win at the moment. :( It really looked possible when Middlesex were 311 for 8, needing 336.

Alistair20000

Somerset can't buy a win at the moment. :( It really looked possible when Middlesex were 311 for 8, needing 336.
Cidermen have completely lost the art of getting over the line. This 5th successive RL defeat by a narrow margin of 1 wicket conclusively dumps them out of the competition. :(

Somerset’s 335 was competitive after losing two early wickets on a pitch that offered the bowlers little help. It was perhaps 15 runs short of where they might have reached, the innings slightly running out of steam after Renshaw and James Rew got out. That pair both got centuries and put on over 200. Both looked tired on a blisteringly hot day. Rew is only 18 and batted with considerable maturity but was badly dropped on 26. A neighbour in the crowd told us there is a younger brother Rew aged 14 who promises to be even better !

Middlesex lost 2 early wickets too but Malan (not the England player) Robson and Holden batted solidly keeping up with the DLS and put the visitors into a winning position. They very nearly self destructed with wickets going down but finally scraped over the line. Somerset lacked good spin options but the seamers all bowled well especially youngsters Alfie Ogbene and Sonny Baker. Sadly Baker bowled a horrid waist high no ball that effectively cost 9 runs with 22 needed going down to only 13 needed. Ben Green only bowled 3 overs and was off the field and Somerset used 8 bowlers in all which perhaps shows not quite enough quality.

I was originally pretty angry at the loss of the best players from the RL to the wretched Hundred but it has given opportunities to young players who have impressed. Some bright Somerset youngsters have emerged despite the defeats. Some good cricket played instead of baseball. I was also following the Hampshire v Lancashire game which was low scoring and where a 20 year old Toby Albert and a 16 year old Dom Kelly on his debut were instrumental in getting Hampshire to a 2 wicket win from a very unpromising position indeed. Unlike Somerset, Hampshire have found the knack of winning.