• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alfie Pond to Wolves for 500k

tonykellowfan

Chiek is probably worth less than Pond given the age difference.

Chiek is a good player but he makes plenty of mistakes and is still learning the game.

He could well spend most of his career in L1 and L2.

ExmouthMart

Of course it does, but the 3 way split was devised in relation to the Grimes money more than 7 years ago. It was a convenient rule of thumb then, but AFAIK there is no specific reason why it should be continued for ever. Circumstances change, and companies need to change as circumstances change.

The Academy is not funded directly in relation to the playing budget, as I understand it most of the money in fact comes from outside the club and when I was involved with the Trust Board the Academy was not part of the management accounts of the Club. And it presumably already has a budget for this year that is not be affected by current circumstances.

The need to boost the P1 budget is now (or maybe it's too late? - time will tell) but if we are indeed going to get a £500K transfer fee from Wolves a specific decision surely needs to be made on where it should be focused, not simply divide it 3 ways because that's easy.
£800000 - £600000 = £200000 🎣

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
FK in this current market, Storey went for 750k and now starting to prove himself regularly, Pond £500k so probably around the £500 until his distribution picks up then closer to Storey with add ons
I'd agree – 500k, or thereabouts, for Cheick.

Number13

As Pond was the only academy player taken on last year, we are starting to see gaps in our succession line!
Think this is a relevant point that maybe got lost

Is it that as we go to L1 we will take on fewer as simply fewer are of L1 standard (for example, you could probably make a case for 4/5 of them when we were in the Conf) or that the standard has dropped?

And with the coaching staff changes in the Academy, is it a worry that our major source of funding outside, effectively, the supporters will dry up?

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just out of interest , what do people think cheick is worth at the moment then , as he was ahead of pond in the pecking order .
Played similar games to Jordan Storey, similar age so I'd say a million maybe a couple of add ons and a sell on.

I think the Pond deal was good for all involved.

tom_ecfc

306D53CE-E1D0-4A42-8EF2-96357C97C217.jpeg

tom_ecfc

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think this is a relevant point that maybe got lost

Is it that as we go to L1 we will take on fewer as simply fewer are of L1 standard (for example, you could probably make a case for 4/5 of them when we were in the Conf) or that the standard has dropped?

And with the coaching staff changes in the Academy, is it a worry that our major source of funding outside, effectively, the supporters will dry up?
As I understand it, the year group below are very highly rated so the number released from Pond's year group was to .ake way for them.

tom_ecfc

As I understand it, the year group below are very highly rated so the number released from Pond's year group was to .ake way for them.
Do we have any names from that group? Would like to follow their progress at youth level.