• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bringing Forward Saturday Kick Off Times

Boyo

Anyone know what the cost of turning on the flight lights for a few hours actually is? I’d be amazed if it was more than a few hundred quid.

Andy_H

Anyone know what the cost of turning on the flight lights for a few hours actually is? I’d be amazed if it was more than a few hundred quid.
Some years ago it used to be around £600 just to switch them on, i expect it's closer to £1k now though, although saying that, i think these 'new' lights - courtesy of S'ton FC some years ago - are more energy efficient that the ones i am referring to. But whatever it's another match day expense which 'could' be looked at to possibly be reduced.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Might as well turn the scoreboard off well we're at it

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rainy day, so a bit dark and the referee will ask for the lights to be switched on so any benefits will be lost.

Colesman Ballz

Rainy day, so a bit dark and the referee will ask for the lights to be switched on so any benefits will be lost.
In that case deduct the cost from their match day expenses. Simples ! :p

tom_ecfc

Move the season to the summer months, simples!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We just need to suck up the extra cost. Even if it saved 500 quid a game to not need the lights through early KO then that money will be lost through less fans and less takings from bar, catering, shop etc

wiveygrecian

We just need to suck up the extra cost. Even if it saved 500 quid a game to not need the lights through early KO then that money will be lost through less fans and less takings from bar, catering, shop etc
Exactly Snoop ! Definitely less fans at 1pm and an awful lot less takings at the bars .

Colesman Ballz

OK for example we play Ipswich mid November and Wednesday mid December. Both those games should sell out regardless of kick off times. If an early kick off permits Ifollow coverage how many passes do you think we will sell to their comparatively large fanbases ? Remember this season the home club receives all the proceeds from those sales.
We need to know the likely cost savings, but unlike the cap on your domestic home electricity bill, no help has yet been announced for commercial businesses so there is likely to be four figure costs per game. How else do you cover them, take them out of other budgets like the playing budget, or put a surcharge on admission prices for example. ? :unsure:

Oldsmobile-88

It was 2pm KOs during the governments ban on floodlights in the winter of 1973/74 due to the miners strike & subsequent energy crisis.
Of course there was not the ancillary spent pre match at most grounds back then.

I can understand why teams further down the pyramid in non league may want earlier KOs, but Mansfield ?