• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Also, regarding Kwarteng.

If there is even a scintilla of truth to the suggestion that he leaked some "insider" info to his old gaffer, the odious Odey, three days prior to his Farcical - sorry "FISCAL" - statement then, surely, not only parliament but the whole weight of the law should be thrown on him?

If true it would make "Partygate" seem a mere trifle. And even The Trump seem as pure as driven snow.

Grecian2K

Since I posted this they've blamed remainers, Labour and the EU. Just benefit claiments to go then.
Don't forget the nurses and social care workers Hermy. Not to mention the postie's, train workers and million or all those other plebs in the minimum wage/zero hours gig (or in deference to Jinx should that be JIG) economy.
If they want more money they should just work more and more hours. Either that or scuttle off to a "proper" job in the "financial sector".

Rosencrantz

Well yes, Boris did say Hasta La Vista. Enough Tory members would gladly vote him back in. Question remains as to whether enough MPs would back him to get into the last two? Whilst they remain significantly behind in the polls, and given there isn't any other obvious heir, I'd say there probably was. I'd profer they'll have learnt from their mistakes.
But all the problems that led them to giving him the boot are still there, not least the Privileges Committee investigation. It would be farcical beyond belief for the same MP's who got rid to then get him back when nothing has really changed in his circumstances. The Tories would be a laughing stock.

Mr Jinx

But all the problems that led them to giving him the boot are still there, not least the Privileges Committee investigation. It would be farcical beyond belief for the same MP's who got rid to then get him back when nothing has really changed in his circumstances. The Tories would be a laughing stock.
Well yes, the same MP's wouldn't want him back. But all it'd take would be for waverers to waver back. Not outside the realms of possibility given that all Tories want is power. But yes, you're right....credibility could be further shot. But what have they got to lose if they're what 17 points behind in the polls for 4/5 months?

arthur

If Truss resigns either Sunak would take over unopposed (cf Howard, May) or there would be a general election in which the Tories would be annihilated. This is the threat she'll hang over anyone who moves against her

Banksy

If Truss resigns either Sunak would take over unopposed (cf Howard, May) or there would be a general election in which the Tories would be annihilated. This is the threat she'll hang over anyone who moves against her
Be an even bigger threat if she keeps the job.

DB9

Government Dept to be told to "identify spending efficiences" as pressure mounts on the economic impact of the mini-budget according to the BBC, In other words cuts to public spending and heaping more misery on those who can least afford it and after more than a decade of austerity.

angelic upstart

Be an even bigger threat if she keeps the job.
I happen to agree with you. I'm unsure why though? I've not had sight nor sound of her. She's not like BJ who would travel about waffling shit to some fella in a warehouse in Corby in order to not have to speak to the wider public. She is just lounging about no 10 feet up watching reruns of Whittle.

Grecian2K

Sunak might be the most likely shout (assuming dismal Lizzi has the integrity to stand down)

After all, all the way through the "qualifying rounds" with the MPs he led the field - all the way to the finals.

It was only when the reins were passed to the bucolic Tufton-Bufftons and Lady Annabelles that the ghastly, ghostly outsider sneaked in.

angelic upstart

Government Dept to be told to "identify spending efficiences" as pressure mounts on the economic impact of the mini-budget according to the BBC, In other words cuts to public spending and heaping more misery on those who can least afford it and after more than a decade of austerity.
It can pay for the 45 billion in borrowings to pay for the tax cut for those earning 150k or more. We can pay for this over our children's lifetimes as well, whilst having less services for the pleasure.

Incidentally, I read that the average premier league football will be 240k a year better off as a result. Which I'm sure we'll be well spent in the UK kick-starting business and the economy