• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
When The Boat Comes In getting a rerun on BBC2, Originally shown(Series 1 to 3) in 1976-77.
Series 4 was not commissioned by the BBC until 1980, being shown in early 1981.
Unmissable. James Bolam superb as Jack Ford.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unmissable. James Bolam superb as Jack Ford.
It was a good drama about 1920s Tyneside with the problems after the The Great War of returning soldiers & the general hardships for working folk in that era.
The part of Jack seemed made for James Bolam.

I don’t recall watching the 4th Series at all. I will have a look for it on DVD.

DB9

It was a good drama about 1920s Tyneside with the problems after the The Great War of returning soldiers & the general hardships for working folk in that era.
The part of Jack seemed made for James Bolam.

I don’t recall watching the 4th Series at all. I will have a look for it on DVD.
Must see viewing in our house at that time, My parents, Especially my mother loved the show, Wasn't the theme tune one of those that the late Sir Terry Wogan use to champion on his radio show and became well known and even in the charts at the time?

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't the theme tune one of those that the late Sir Terry Wogan use to champion on his radio show and became well known and even in the charts at the time?
I think Wogan on his Radio 2 morning show played the Floral Dance. Recording lyrics to the tune.

He may have played When The Boat Comes In/Dance To Your Daddy.

On the subject of Terry Wogan. A US TV Soap he Championed with a bit of mickey taking was Dallas around 1979/80. With his huge audience he was credited in some quarters with giving it a huge boost in TV ratings for the BBC.

DB9

He did and was on TOTP with the floral dance along with the Brighouse and Rastrick Band.

Oldsmobile-88

He did and was on TOTP with the floral dance along with the Brighouse and Rastrick Band.
Yes..I could not think of the name of the Band.

Oldsmobile-88

29th September 1973.

The first edition of New Faces a talent show was broadcast.The initial series ran from 1973-78. 6 series(167 episodes)
A ATV Production presenter by Derek Hobson.
Breaks into showbiz included, Lenny Henry, Jim Davidson, Marti Caine, Roger de Courcey, Patti Boulaye, Les Dennis.

Judges included Mickey Most, Tony Hatch, Arthur Askey, ‘fluff’ Freeman, Ed Stewart, Lionel Blair. iirc Mickey Most played the most hard nosed judge.

The series was revived by ATV’s replacement Central TV in 1986. A further 3 series(39 episodes) presented by former winner in the original series, Marti Caine..

🎶 You’re A Star. Superstar 🎶 was the theme tune.

23BB5F2D-BBDA-4698-90C2-C58D8B31EC5E.jpegF5881871-3E88-4963-9566-5BA41E4C29A8.jpeg

Last edited:

DB9

Tony Hatch was a sod as a judge as well, Hatch and his wife Jackie Trent were responsible for many theme tunes like Crossroads, Neighbours etc.

Oldsmobile-88

Tony Hatch was a sod as a judge as well, Hatch and his wife Jackie Trent were responsible for many theme tunes like Crossroads, Neighbours etc.
Yes....Trying to imagine Arthur Askey between Mickie Most & Tony Hatch...Noel Edmonds was a judge too, Radio 1 DJs were held in high esteem it would seem in those days.

Reactions: DB9

iscalad

Yes....Trying to imagine Arthur Askey between Mickie Most & Tony Hatch...Noel Edmonds was a judge too, Radio 1 DJs were held in high esteem it would seem in those days.
That's because people actually listened to Radio 1 in those days.