• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes....Trying to imagine Arthur Askey between Mickie Most & Tony Hatch...Noel Edmonds was a judge too, Radio 1 DJs were held in high esteem it would seem in those days.
Thing was with New Faces and Oppotunity Knocks the people who were contestants we either Joe Public or those who had plied their trade at working mens club, Pubs and variety shows and those who won were actually talented, Marti Caine, Les Dawson, Lenny Henry, even Bobby Crush all made a (Long) careers, Not full of wannabee's like the X Factor has or BGT, No longevity except for a very few, The judges were harsh though but weren't out to humiliate like they do nowadays.

Oldsmobile-88

That's because people actually listened to Radio 1 in those days.
I only saw the Routes Club in Okehampton St full on 4 occasions, twice with bands(Stranglers & The Police) the other two times were for guest DJs..Noel Edmonds & then DLT..
I don’t know what this radio audiences were but I guess they were multiple millions back then.

DB9

I only saw the Routes Club in Okehampton St full on 4 occasions, twice with bands(Stranglers & The Police) the other two times were for guest DJs..Noel Edmonds & then DLT..
I don’t know what this radio audiences were but I guess they were multiple millions back then.
Radio 1's audience share was pretty huge, The Roadshow's thousands turned up, Every year when it was in Bude the place was heaving, Also it was the go to station that was "Fed" to the shop floor in factories across the UK, They use to say worked stopped when Simon Bates's Our Tune segment was on.

iscalad

Radio 1's audience share was pretty huge, The Roadshow's thousands turned up, Every year when it was in Bude the place was heaving, Also it was the go to station that was "Fed" to the shop floor in factories across the UK, They use to say worked stopped when Simon Bates's Our Tune segment was on.
Re the Roadshow. Kylie at Exmouth was "fun".

Oldsmobile-88

They use to say worked stopped when Simon Bates's Our Tune segment was on.
It did...I remember there were 6 of us doing gas boiler replacements on a council estate at Exmouth in 1984, without fail we stopped for the Simon Bates ‘Our Tune’.

Oldsmobile-88

29th September 1979.

The BBC have a clear run due to the ongoing ITV networks strike...Except Channel TV, who had a good TV movie. Amelia Earhart(1976) a biographic of the aviators life.
There was another biographic film released over 30 years later, Amelia(2009) not as good as the TV movie imo.

6BDEF2B6-73A8-4A30-9787-2AFD250AD4EB.jpeg

Mr Jinx

It did...I remember there were 6 of us doing gas boiler replacements on a council estate at Exmouth in 1984, without fail we stopped for the Simon Bates ‘Our Tune’.
When I was going to Exmouth School in 1984, for me it was Tuesday (?) lunchtimes and the top 10 countdown. Me and a friend put our lives on hold.

Spoonz Red E

When I was going to Exmouth School in 1984, for me it was Tuesday (?) lunchtimes and the top 10 countdown. Me and a friend put our lives on hold.

angelic upstart

I've got visions of George doing a funky dance to somebody's watching me, now.

Oldsmobile-88

29th September 1987.

Brass Tacks on BBC2 with a subject that is quite topical today, though in those days there was not the safety net of a long process or alternative ways to pay a energy debt.

FCB6F3BC-7768-4466-9F52-145A581C8A4C.jpeg