• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

ExmouthMart

If he came back
I for one would not renew my season ticket
He is the last person I would want running our club
He wouldn’t be running the club. He would be managing the Team. Unless someone with similar experience and above all else able to adapt to how we operate and the limitations that brings is available right now, what are our options?! Who do you think Julian Tagg is thinking about?! Everyone know he runs the football club. It could be a pivotal moment for the Trust to show who is in charge if the owners decide they don’t want the club boards option.

• Haha
Reactions: Ash

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Continuity will be the key. Someone who knows the set up and how the Club is run and financed. It's why I think it'll be Nicholson/Hill.

If we look outside this time, it was mentioned somewhere that David Artell would be a good fit. Ironically, started his career at Rotherham.

Redarrow

Continuity will be the key. Someone who knows the set up and how the Club is run and financed. It's why I think it'll be Nicholson/Hill.
Just not sure on Nicholson, great coach with youth I’m sure but when he took the reigns at Torquay he was woeful

tom_ecfc

Nicky Ajose?
Not able to coach on the astro! 😉

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we look outside this time, it was mentioned somewhere that David Artell would be a good fit. Ironically, started his career at Rotherham.
The problem is that Artell had a lot of success introducing young players and getting Crewe out of League 2; however, he struggled to maintain that level of performance and after one good season Crewe really struggled last season. Maybe he's learnt from the experience but I'm not sure I'd want to be employing a manager who finished bottom of League One last season.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Managers appointed since Trust ownership:

2003 Eamonn Dolan - The right man for the job at that time. Instrumental in bring a sense of pride and commitment back to the club. Galvanised the fan base in our time of need.
2004 Alex Inglethorpe - Played a huge part in saving the club by masterminding our 2005 FA cup run and 'that' draw at Old Trafford. Popular amongst fan base. Now Acadamy Manager at Liverpool
2006 Paul Tisdale - Promotion back into the football league. Promotion to League One. Equal highest ever finish in the league. 4 play-off finals at Wembley (including our first ever appearance at Wembley). Beat the scum multiple times.
2018 King Matt Taylor - Reconnected the fanbase and team after Tisdale's slightly sorry end. Made SJP a proper fortress. A steady hand during the trials of Covid. 1 play-off final at Wembley. Beat the scum 4-1. Promotion to League One. Very decent start in League One.

Essentially, a bleddy good track record. I'm just going to trust the system on this one and will get behind whoever they see fit to appoint.

It may be heresy to put an ex Argyle player in the frame but Paul Wotton at Truro City is doing a really good job. There also appears to be a good connection between the clubs.

Trapdoor

It may be heresy to put an ex Argyle player in the frame but Paul Wotton at Truro City is doing a really good job. There also appears to be a good connection between the clubs.
We can do better than Wotton shirley?
I think Ardley might be a reasonable shout if Wayno is also determined to leave.

tonykellowfan

My view would be go for somebody who has L1 management experience.