• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

robchave

As I don't have the expertise to judge who would make a good manager for ECFC, my support will go to whoever is chosen.
If KN is chosen, then the appointment panel will have decided that he has the necessary attributes and that the recent poor results are due to the injuries to our defensive players and have been, largely, outside of his control.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
As I don't have the expertise to judge who would make a good manager for ECFC, my support will go to whoever is chosen.
If KN is chosen, then the appointment panel will have decided that he has the necessary attributes and that the recent poor results are due to the injuries to our defensive players and have been, largely, outside of his control.
That is the right answer in terms of the last few matches. Our defence is non existent in terms of numbers currently. I do think we have the basis of a decent mid table side and we will get good and bad days throughout the season. But if we can keep the side fit and healthy, we have shown we can compete and score goals. We have scored 8 in our last 4, just a shame we have conceded 10 (League matches, not including the trophy).

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
My money is on Artell. Just don’t see us pushing the boat out much.

I’d be ok with him as he’s had a good spell at Crewe despite a poor final season.
I think Artell would be a very solid appointment.

Any new manager for us would come with a level of risk but he's my choice and has been since MT left.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Obviously gone over it a million times but get a gut feeling about KN that he wouldn’t be up to standard for us and what we want to achieve (stay up mainly!) Thought it since before his first match and still think it after consistently letting in 4 goals a time.

Artell is an interesting one as there are people who back KN but then negative about a guy that has a League 2 promotion to his name as is a proven manager in the lower leagues alongside working closely with an academy that still eclipses ours. Whilst his second year in League 1 (having stayed up) ended in failure I feel like he’s a good fit for us. Needs to be remembered he was at Crewe for 5 years - things tend to get a bit stale for any manager behind this point - as we well know! Also hence why MT fancied a new challenge.

Holden appears out of the race, leaving Ardley who brings in experience of a L2 promotion + working with a fan owned club. And has been playing good football with Solihull who seem to be punching above their weight in a division or big hitters. Wouldn’t be disappointed with him either although DA just shades it for me.

Then of course is the wildcard which I’m secretly hoping for - a Tisdale or Inglethorpe exciting new coach with some big ideas that have shown some way of thinking differently (what PT had done with Team Bath was genuinely impressive)

I wait and hope that our season isn’t about to be chucked away.

andrew p long

Obviously gone over it a million times but get a gut feeling about KN that he wouldn’t be up to standard for us and what we want to achieve (stay up mainly!) Thought it since before his first match and still think it after consistently letting in 4 goals a time.

Artell is an interesting one as there are people who back KN but then negative about a guy that has a League 2 promotion to his name as is a proven manager in the lower leagues alongside working closely with an academy that still eclipses ours. Whilst his second year in League 1 (having stayed up) ended in failure I feel like he’s a good fit for us. Needs to be remembered he was at Crewe for 5 years - things tend to get a bit stale for any manager behind this point - as we well know! Also hence why MT fancied a new challenge.

Holden appears out of the race, leaving Ardley who brings in experience of a L2 promotion + working with a fan owned club. And has been playing good football with Solihull who seem to be punching above their weight in a division or big hitters. Wouldn’t be disappointed with him either although DA just shades it for me.

Then of course is the wildcard which I’m secretly hoping for - a Tisdale or Inglethorpe exciting new coach with some big ideas that have shown some way of thinking differently (what PT had done with Team Bath was genuinely impressive)

I wait and hope that our season isn’t about to be chucked away.
I agree with this. One reservation about Neal Ardley is that part of the Solihull Moors success may have been the product of a big budget (for NationalLeague/Solihull Moors standards). IIRC a striker (Paul McCallum?) chose to move to Solihull rather than ECFC because of the bigger wages on offer there.

Grecian Max

I agree with this. One reservation about Neal Ardley is that part of the Solihull Moors success may have been the product of a big budget (for NationalLeague/Solihull Moors standards). IIRC a striker (Paul McCallum?) chose to move to Solihull rather than ECFC because of the bigger wages on offer there.
Yeah I suspected that given they get gates below 2,000! That said he is still competing with some big boys in the division

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
With no hint that anything will be announced today it now looks like it will be next week. I can't see them announcing on game day that KN hasn't got the job and then expecting him to lead the boys out at home for a league fixture.

DB9

With no hint that anything will be announced today it now looks like it will be next week. I can't see them announcing on game day that KN hasn't got the job and then expecting him to lead the boys out at home for a league fixture.
5pm Saturday then?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Devon Live are reporting early next week, what's the difference announcing today on the eve of a match against Fleetwood or on the eve of a match against Derby, or even on the day, same effect on KN and his preps, would also be better earlier bearing in mind their first match could be against the slime.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's disappointing its taking so long to appoint a new manager. We all understand the need to do our best to try and get the right person but it's been nearly 3 weeks since MT left. It looks bad from the outside. Either we're taking our diligence to new levels or the club is indecisive and disorganised.