• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

DawlishBouy

Fantastic view of the winning goal from 6:18

Maybe Jevani is a bit like the great Ryan Harley in that on occasions quite anonymous in games, but when on song can just turn a match in a flash. Swindon away comes to mind.

Memphis09

Reasoning? I thought the fish makes a good point.
Posted just after your reasoned second post
I unfortunately wasn’t at the game yesterday away on holiday but my son was there and said yet again MJ did nothing
Certainly not good enough for this league an opinion which you probably won’t agree with
Just name a game where he has been worth his place this season

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I unfortunately wasn’t at the game yesterday away on holiday but my son was there and said yet again MJ did nothing
Certainly not good enough for this league an opinion which you probably won’t agree with
Just name a game where he has been worth his place this season
His place has been on the bench this season and the last two home games when he came on he's impressed me. Definitely worth his place.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's why I said it was a tough decision. The front three are in good goalscoring form but we do not have the same control of games we had before, say Port Vale, Wycombe or MK Dons in the second half, where we . Apart from the FGR we haven't really got Jevani into the game as much would be ideal. Changing the formation again to a flat back four would also come with some problems as we are best served with a back three with our current options and again, who would you leave out when we have most back fit.

The only caveat I would put is that I would want to see Sweenz and Josh back in their normal positions first. As I said before you don't realise how much control in possession Sweenz gives us until it's not there.

The change in formation came through injuries to Kite and Dieng in the first place with Stanno basically preferred to Kegs in the starting XI. It just doesn't feel it is totally justified in staying that way now they are back. It is a tough choice as it is basically picking either individual form or most balanced team shape. Sometimes someone gets dropped when their individual form doesn't necessarily deserve it but for the good of the team.
You should be a politician with an answer like that. There well-reasoned paragraphs that are difficult to argue with but no actual answer to which of the front 3 you would drop!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can have whatever system you like, but if you think that that means Brown should be dropped you’re a complete dimwit and know nothing about football. Brown is one of the best players we’ve had in a decade - his skill, touch, vision and ability to either create or score is second to none, not just at the club but in the division. Even on a bad day he’s better than most on a good. Dropping Brown indeed - are you mental or something?
As Rosencrantz and others have pointed out, we looked at our best early in the season when we played 3 out-and-out central midfielders. Admittedly we outplayed Barnsley with only 2 midfielders and it's possible we could do the same to Derby on Tuesday. However, when we come up against the absolute top teams in the division it seems to be asking for trouble to only play 2 midfielders, especially when we have players of the quality of Dieng and Harper available to bring in.
That means that realistically we have to drop one of our outstanding front 3 and for me Jevani is the most likely. Yes, he's a brilliant creative player but the other 2 are pretty good as well. And in games where we aren't likely to get much of the ball I just think the speed and link-up play of Sam and Jay on the counter-attack is more useful to the team - as we saw for the first goal yesterday.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wasn’t it rumoured last week that quite a few players were suffering from a virus? Maybe Jev was one that suffered.

Plus, one thing KMT did was shout a lot, he was the General Melchett of the lower leagues. He was constantly telling the players what to do, where to go, etc. Maybe without the direction, Jev is one that struggles?
Ah yes, "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"
Wonder if he read Exeweb?:cool:

Bridgy 81

What I liked particularly about our 2 goals (other than Josh Key’s brilliant build up play) was how both Stanno and Sam took them.
When Stanno laid the ball off to Sam he sprinted into the box but then hung back behind the defender until the very last moment before nipping in front of him to score.
Also watching Sam during the play leading up to his goal he was strong in the initial tussle with the defender, sensed the ball was coming in on the near post and showed great movement and a deft touch at the end.
Coming back from being behind was good too.
We haven’t done that much this season so far so should hopefully be a confidence boost going forward.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today was a massive win as our fixture list now is Derby (A), Argyle (A), Peterborough (H), Ipswich (H) which is as tough a run of league one fixtures you will find this season and i would be delighted if we could take 3 or 4 of the next 12.