• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Derby County vs Exeter City Match-day Thread

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key remains a very frustrating player for me. Clearly has bags of talent and is a very good player, but always seems to want to hang on to the ball too long and beat that one extra player. Last night was no exception and he ended up losing the ball in tight areas when the team has pushed up the field, he did that at least 3 or 4 times last night and each time it led to a quick counter from Derby and some very dangerous positions. Luckily Derby weren't good enough to capitalise and there was some great cover from the rest of the back line that saved the situation, but more clinical teams may well have taken better advantage.
Don't get me wrong I like Key and get excited every time he gets on the ball, but he still needs to learn to get his head up more and realise that he doesn't need to try to beat the entire opposition on his own when he gets the ball in a good areas.
Key seems to effortlessly glide past his man several times each game and it's great to see but it's what happens next that he needs to work on. He looked a world beater setting up the winner on Saturday but all too often his good work does'nt end well.

Juan Kerr

Key seems to effortlessly glide past his man several times each game and it's great to see but it's what happens next that he needs to work on. He looked a world beater setting up the winner on Saturday but all too often his good work does'nt end well.
You could be describing Caprice there too. Very fast, pretty skillful, but sometimes tries to be just that little bit too clever at the final moment. I hope GC can coach that out of him because MT never seemed able to.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
You could be describing Caprice there too. Very fast, pretty skillful, but sometimes tries to be just that little bit too clever at the final moment. I hope GC can coach that out of him because MT never seemed able to.
And coach him to trust his left foot more.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
On several occasions last night he twisted himself out of a dangerously tight situation and followed it up with intelligent distribution.

Ian Tarr

I didn't. Flapped at a cross he should have caught
He came for a deep cross, and as he did so he made the decision that, being stretched, attempting the catch constituted an unacceptable risk. He palmed the ball well clear of immediate danger. I didn't see any flapping.

Antony Moxey

Has anyone mentioned our corners tactic? All the players stand in a line on the penalty spot, then spread out! is this new I don’t think I’ve seen us do it before. Something Caldwell has bought in?
We've definitely done that before, a copy of something England did at the either the last World Cup or Euros.

geoffwp

We've definitely done that before, a copy of something England did at the either the last World Cup or Euros.
Correct. Pretty sure we used that last season

tom_ecfc

Has anyone mentioned our corners tactic? All the players stand in a line on the penalty spot, then spread out! is this new I don’t think I’ve seen us do it before. Something Caldwell has bought in?
We did this a few seasons back. First came about when England used it in the World cup if I remember rightly.

Agent Andy

He came for a deep cross, and as he did so he made the decision that, being stretched, attempting the catch constituted an unacceptable risk. He palmed the ball well clear of immediate danger. I didn't see any flapping.
No flapping , just a good save under enormous pressure for a young boy , didn’t let anyone down and helped us gain a valuable point . That’s sonny , Harry and Ed all with there league one appearances to their name , the future is bright 👏👏

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
No flapping, just a good save under enormous pressure for a young boy, didn’t let anyone down and helped us gain a valuable point.
In a funny way, now we know that Blackman is OK, that was a good situation for him to make his debut. No time to get nervous, raucous crowd, team-mates giving him encouragement, etc etc and he seems to have taken it all in his stride. Augers well for the future, assuming Scott Brown decamps to Rotherham.

"If you're good enough, you're old enough". (y)(y)