• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A superb City performance

Mervyn

Forgive me for the lack of banter. Can’t be arsed. Just want to say that that was the best performance by any visiting team to HP this season. Played in a great spirit despite the conditions. Your first half tactics were spot on, with very high press and speedy breaks upfield.
In the end had your shot not hit the crossbar, and but for Cooper’s brilliant save, it would have been a draw, which I wouldn’t have argued with. Please perform the same way in your next four games, which are also tough fixtures.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No bookings in a derby game is an interesting stat!

Alfie 1966

No bookings in a derby game is an interesting stat!
Think the ref was best we had this season, liked the way he had word to Jay , credit to both teams in such dreadful weather conditions, Proud to have a City logo on the car.

Mervyn

Yes, very well refereed I thought. Lots of strong challenges, but all clean, and the game flowed. Excellent City vocal support. You make more noise than Wednesday and Ipswich.

felix

As good as any team to visit so far this season. Fans better than any in terms of noise. As has been said a small swing the other way and you would have won. As far as I'm aware no real trouble apart from some evil chanting from a small group of thickoes. Most people seem to think it was a great advert for league 1. As an Exeter resident I will now try and get a ticket for the Ipswich game hoping you guys win (what am I saying??!!)

TheManFromDelMonte.

He says.......as a rare visitor to these threads, it's pleasing to see a level-headed response from some Argyle supporters to what was an excellent game; yes, it could have gone either way and a draw would (in my biased view) have been a 'fair' result.

That said, when the opposition are top of the table, on a run of 8 consecutive home wins in a row (equalling their best ever run, so going for a new record), and can then bring on a player with a third or so of the game left, that scored 19 goals in this league the previous season......I think that shows the difference in budgets between the two clubs, so once the game had settled from the second quick equaliser, the likelihood of one team going to on to win it was stacked in your favour.

Overall though, we took the game to you without fear, played some great football, and any neutrals could surely only have seen the game as a superb representation of League One.

It was a proper derby played in the right way.

The lack of bookings was very surprising, albeit I agree, the ref was class in that respect and let the game flow.

Regards,

TheManFromDelMonte.

Edna Clouds

Robbed again as far as I'm concerned. If the greens get promoted they will be ripped apart next year. I'm thinking about what I've just watched and on that display am not sure how on earth argyle are where they are in the league. The stand out players were not greens.

Curley

You looked decent at HP but you were really poor today. As soon as it got to 0-0 at HT and you didn’t capitalise on your one or 2 chances of the game I knew we’d go on and win and I was actually predicting us to lose before the game.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You looked decent at HP but you were really poor today.
I think we could equally say the same. The only way you were ever going to score was if we did it for you, which we duly obliged. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a team win without ever giving the keeper anything to do.

Edna Clouds

You say we looked poor but apart from a deflected goal argyle were worse. When it was level at half time I did think argyle might improve - couldn't be any worse. It looks to me though the greens are overachieving. Surely you normally play better? If you get promoted you will need a major squad overhaul. We've had problems defending recently but your strikers were poor, I can't remember another shot on target.