• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting how they can attract loanees of such quality, when Taylor was constantly complaining about players not wanting to come down here.
Is it just about money then?
Yep. Morgan Whittaker for example is some player and on very decent money (can't remember the exact figure, was it 10k per week? = 500k for a season's loan if they pay wages in full.) Finn Azaz is a player of similar quality. Most clubs loaning out players will want where possible to get wages covered in full.

Yes, we got Dawson who was also reputedly on 500k, but on a deal where we paid only a (small?) proportion of his wages. So even before you get to discuss a deal with the player we will be bidding against League One clubs with much more financial firepower, of whom Argyle are just one example and by no means the wealthiest. By contrast our loans also include the likes of Chauke for whom we are paying next to nothing because Southampton recognise that he isn't anything like ready yet to start regular League One games.

malcolms

Most clubs loaning their players look at a number of issues and cost is not always the most important..I doubt Whitaker and Mumba are on great money, so this shouldn't have been a problem. Contacts are vital in this negotiation, and it doesn't seem to have been our strength in recent years. We concentrate on developing and ultimately selling our young players...The mindset of assisting in the development of another clubs' player is an acquired skillset.

fred binneys head

I doubt Whitaker and Mumba are on great money, so this shouldn't have been a problem.
Let's agree to disagree.

Topsham Boy

Interesting how they can attract loanees of such quality, when Taylor was constantly complaining about players not wanting to come down here.
Is it just about money then?
Probably.

malcolms

Let's agree to disagree.
Happy to do that, but I doubt that Whittaker, who was on loan at Lincoln would be on anywhere near the sort of money that's being mentioned...Mumba, similarly on loan at Peterborough...However, they are both very good players and will undoubtably improve.

budegrecian

Ok, the day after the night before & unfortunately the result remains unchanged. However, so does my pride in this team & club; we may have made mistakes with regard to some of the goals we conceded, but I'll leave that for our new manager to focus on. I'd rather concentrate on the fact that for 3/4's of the match our team, which used 8 academy graduates, was the better side & scared the life out of a very good & much more expensive outfit that sit clear at the top of the league.
Some of the performances were excellent, particularly by players I wasn't sure would be comfortable in this league. Very, very early days, but I already like everything I see about our new manager, who hasn't yet had time to bring in his own coaching team.
We're going to be fine in this league, particularly with Jay Stansfield playing for us. We've only got him for the season, but he was probably our most pumped up player last night. He may technically be a Fulham player, but he was, is & always will be a Grecian & I'm going to relish every minute of watching him, whilst he's here.
Semper Fidelis

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, the day after the night before & unfortunately the result remains unchanged. However, so does my pride in this team & club; we may have made mistakes with regard to some of the goals we conceded, but I'll leave that for our new manager to focus on. I'd rather concentrate on the fact that for 3/4's of the match our team, which used 8 academy graduates, was the better side & scared the life out of a very good & much more expensive outfit that sit clear at the top of the league.
Some of the performances were excellent, particularly by players I wasn't sure would be comfortable in this league. Very, very early days, but I already like everything I see about our new manager, who hasn't yet had time to bring in his own coaching team.
We're going to be fine in this league, particularly with Jay Stansfield playing for us. We've only got him for the season, but he was probably our most pumped up player last night. He may technically be a Fulham player, but he was, is & always will be a Grecian & I'm going to relish every minute of watching him, whilst he's here.
Semper Fidelis
When Stanno helps us get promoted he'll be back next season.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Stanno helps us get promoted he'll be back next season.
We will ALWAYS have a STANNO even when Jay returns to Fulham !
Anyone want to sing a song ...................
UTC

Cowshed Grecian

Stanno was outstanding last night, he's only going to get better and better this season- he's too good for L1 already. Anyone who still thinks we are getting relegated is wrong, no chance.

larrywilkie

Stanno was outstanding last night, he's only going to get better and better this season- he's too good for L1 already. Anyone who still thinks we are getting relegated is wrong, no chance.
That pass for Sam's goal was just sublime and I don't think there are many others that would have picked it like he did. Jevani maybe?