• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Port Vale v Exeter City. FA Cup first round. Matchday thread.

JCWhoosh

Great save by JB at the end. Its one he should be making but got down well for a big fella. I'm glad we are shooting more. 3 quality goals from outside the box. Maybe GC's input in taking off the handbrake for Brown and Collins and giving them more freedom to have a go.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bottom left of footage, somebody (Clarke ?) raised an arm appealing to the ref whilst the ball was in flight. Unlucky, lads !

Grecian Max

Gung-ho? The manager you loved so much? Max I've seen smoke on a breezy day change direction less than your opinion at times.😲
Geoff - what are you on about?

I liked Matt Taylor’s style - a lot! It was a POSITIVE that he was gung-ho, am I not allowed to compare and contrast? It was great fun to watch, chucking forward bodies it was incredible after the tippy happy fest you defended for so long. You have real issues

Grecian Max

Still can’t decide which I prefer, I think Jevani’s just about…

I really hope GC can find room to keep playing him although I suspect he might well be benched in at least one of the next 2 against tough oppo (not what I’d do but just based on his approach so far). Obviously this was a cup game so we could go more attacking but I don’t think GC quite shares the same gung-ho attitude of his predecessor.
Geoff, I know you’re ancient but surely you can understand that what I’m doing here is wondering how a more cautious approach might be able to fit in three excellent attacking players into a league match (cup games being what they are, one offs)

Whereas Matt Taylor (club legend, my favourite City manager) tried to get all three of them on the pitch in League 1, I speculate that Caldwell’s more pragmatic style might mean there isn’t space for Jevani as much as we’d like to see.

I’ll include Geoff-explainers with all my posts going forward

geoffwp

Gung ho. Extremely over zealous, unthinkingly enthusiastic. I don't think that fits at all max. Issues? Ha, silly notion

Grecian Max

Gung ho. Extremely over zealous, unthinkingly enthusiastic. I don't think that fits at all max. Issues? Ha, silly notion
You might want to check the Oxford dictionary Geoff, I thought you were a teacher? It can be used in a positive and negative way. No wonder education standards are slipping

Taylor often played in a way that was attack first, ask questions later. Anyone watching City over his 4 years would recognise this, or have you already forgotten the goalfests and exciting football like Harrogate at home?

Just admit you’re wrong and move on (which will be never)

Grecian Max

Here’s a question - should Jamal have done better with the first (near post, through his legs)?

Grecian Max

Also back to the what I actually meant to discuss - Jevani’s inclusion in a Caldwell team

He’s our best player, but against more big boys coming up (we have one tough run now) I can’t see GC playing with Stanno + Nombe and Brown in behind due to how he set up against Derby and Argyle.

I looked at Caldwell’s line ups from when he was at Wigan and it was pretty eye opening how much he tinkered and changed as he went along until he got a formula he liked over halfway through a season. We could be in for more of the same as he figures out what his priorities are…

grecIAN Harris

Here’s a question - should Jamal have done better with the first (near post, through his legs)?
Maybe try answering the question yourself by thinking what you might have done in the same situation given what keepers are told to do in one on one situations, ie make yourself appear as big as you can and spread yourself........

Exehausted

Also back to the what I actually meant to discuss - Jevani’s inclusion in a Caldwell team

He’s our best player, but against more big boys coming up (we have one tough run now) I can’t see GC playing with Stanno + Nombe and Brown in behind due to how he set up against Derby and Argyle.

I looked at Caldwell’s line ups from when he was at Wigan and it was pretty eye opening how much he tinkered and changed as he went along until he got a formula he liked over halfway through a season. We could be in for more of the same as he figures out what his priorities are…
I don't think it's just that he's tinkering, I think he's playing different systems for different opponents. As long as you explain this to the players, "You haven't been dropped, I've changed the system" the players will buy into that. Against the better sides I prefer 5 across the middle and keep things tight early on. Particularly as he seems to want Archie to get forward more. At the moment, with Harry struggling, he doesn't have much choice. If he's fit for Saturday, I won't be surprised to see him back in. These days all teams need to be able to play different formations, sometimes change things several times in a match. I know a lot of people don't like the five sub rule but I do. Not to change things for the sake of it, but to be able to make changes that make a real difference. The early signs are that Gary won't be afraid to play different systems and I think the players will adapt.