• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP capacity

Topsham Boy

If we ever move away from St James Park then there is a long list of requirements we would need from a new stadium I would have thought.

Good road access, particularly from the M5 and a large car park by the stadium.
A station within walking distance.
A hotel or conference centre to be part of the stadium.
Enhanced hospitality suites…with improved food and drink options throughout the stadium.
Enhanced media facilities.
Large club shop.
Screens and improved media for fans pre and post match.
Improved disabled access.
The list is long……..

All this takes space…..and money of course!

An example I’m familiar with is Reading….their move from the out of date ElmPark in the middle of town to a purpose built stadium….around 24000 all seater with hotel etc etc. funded by John Madjeski.
Reading has a population of c160,000….versus Exeter around 130,000. In the Championship Reading currently average 13k attendances at home. With the right facilities, and despite the draw of the Chiefs, I believe we could average 10k in a new stadium in the Championship (which would include more away supporters of course)….if it was ever to happen!!!!!
Views?

When the student block was built behind the Big Bank we lost the catering hut and toilets behind it. Replacement catering facilities and toilets were added in the 'gap'.

TBH though, the catering and toilet capacity is insufficient.
I always stand top left of the bank as you look at the pitch so really had no idea. I knew that the toilets and catering at the back had gone but assumed that they were replaced by the ones at the stadium way entrance.

Incidentally I recently sat in the Stansfield stand for the first time and was most impressed. Even my son who I to Arsenal enjoyed it.

If we ever move away from St James Park then there is a long list of requirements we would need from a new stadium I would have thought.

Good road access, particularly from the M5 and a large car park by the stadium.
A station within walking distance.
A hotel or conference centre to be part of the stadium.
Enhanced hospitality suites…with improved food and drink options throughout the stadium.
Enhanced media facilities.
Large club shop.
Screens and improved media for fans pre and post match.
Improved disabled access.
The list is long……..

All this takes space…..and money of course!

An example I’m familiar with is Reading….their move from the out of date ElmPark in the middle of town to a purpose built stadium….around 24000 all seater with hotel etc etc. funded by John Madjeski.
Reading has a population of c160,000….versus Exeter around 130,000. In the Championship Reading currently average 13k attendances at home. With the right facilities, and despite the draw of the Chiefs, I believe we could average 10k in a new stadium in the Championship (which would include more away supporters of course)….if it was ever to happen!!!!!
Views?
You've just described Sandy Park!!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
But Cranbrook is in East Devon
I can remember the days when the City fans used to sing 'East East East Devon'

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
But Cranbrook is in East Devon
I can remember the days when the City fans used to sing 'East East East Devon'

Leads

What is the capacity of the BB? I’m sure it was just over 4000 circa 2007, it was reduced not long after and has now been reduced again?

Separate point, but I’m sure Reading is much bigger than 160k…

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is the capacity of the BB? I’m sure it was just over 4000 circa 2007, it was reduced not long after and has now been reduced again?

Separate point, but I’m sure Reading is much bigger than 160k…
3,960, less 10% = 3,564 say 3,550 in round numbers. Away end now reduced to 950 on the same basis.

Wikpedia says Reading borough is 161K, wider urban area 337K.

Leads

3,960, less 10% = 3,564 say 3,550 in round numbers. Away end now reduced to 950 on the same basis.

Thank you! That’s quite a hefty drop, especially in terms of the away end. I wonder how much that will cost us over the course of a season.

JW57++

The wider urban area is more relevant for Reading - there is a much larger population close to Reading than there is for Exeter.
No station near to the ground, although one is planned. A nightmare to get away from after a game.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thank you! That’s quite a hefty drop, especially in terms of the away end. I wonder how much that will cost us over the course of a season.
Not very much actually, depending on how many away teams will sell out the away end (Derby, Bristol, Ipswich, Pompey, Argyle, Wenesday, who else?). 100 per sell-out at say £12 per head after advance discounts, 5% fee to the away team and VAT is deducted, so significantly less than £10K in total?