• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Noticed we were very structured today. When Peterborough had the ball at the back we let them have it and sat back in banks of 3-3-4. As soon as the ball entered the middle part of the pitch we pressed. Something not seen pre GC!
I think GC referred to it as a 'mid block'.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Noticed we were very structured today. When Peterborough had the ball at the back we let them have it and sat back in banks of 3-3-4. As soon as the ball entered the middle part of the pitch we pressed. Something not seen pre GC!
That's right and it clearly worked yesterday. However when teams start that daft passing the ball around their box instead of taking the traditional goal kick I like our mobile forwards pressing them hard. I suppose the choice is play, say Kite or MJ if we're going to allow opposition defenders to have the ball or Nombe, Jevani and Stanno if we're going to high press.

Fareham Grecian

My sense is that he's more tactically aware than Matt Taylor, the question is his does his people management skills compare?
I think watching the squad celebrations on the pitch yesterday answers that one.

tom_ecfc

I suppose the choice is play, say Kite or MJ if we're going to allow opposition defenders to have the ball or Nombe, Jevani and Stanno if we're going to high press.
This is exactly what happened when we went 2-1 down. I think against poorer opposition who decide to deploy this passing around the back tactic, we will push higher up and press. Good to see a shifting formation through the game as the scoreline/personnel changed.

tom_ecfc

andrew p long

I wonder what help the club is giving to Caldwell and Perkins over finding the right permanent homes. If I've read things right, both have school age children and neither have any history of living in, or connections to, the Westcountry. Moving across country with a family and schooling to consider is complex and daunting.
I'm sure Taggy and others were right on to this and of course it often happens with players (though fewer of then have school age children). There's also the tricky handling for Caldwell and Perkins of the next few months working hundreds of miles from the family home.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
:)

andrew p long

I'm sure he will have picked up that the Big Bank is now the biggest standing terrace in English football...

iscalad

Sounds like he's a hard taskmaster😀

Memphis09

Sounds like he's a hard taskmaster😀
Hope he is
As much as I liked Matt Taylor from seeing the changes he made Saturday and the fact that they were always in the plan think he is much more tackley aware
Brilliant changes