• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nope, not having it. Giving a yellow card for that is ridiculous and petty. What's the point ?
Indeed. But is now mandatory with no scope for discretion.

I remember Luke Rodgers as a teenager completing a hat trick and removing his shirt to celebrate. He'd already been booked so was sent off.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it goes back to the more skin tight shirts back along and Diego Forlan struggling to get his shirt back on after taking it off celebrating his long awaited first goal for Man Utd. He was on the touchline for quite some time whilst he and various backroom staff got it back on.

It is a really petty rule though as is the automatic yellow card for jumping into your own supporters, albeit that is for leaving the pitch. That was more brought in for those grounds with athletic tracks around them. Any goal celebration in the Rome derby was taking quite a while 🙂
Historically refs were told to book players who took off their shirts after scoring because the shirt sponsors were complaining that the optimum photo shot displaying their logos - the goalscorer celebration - was lost. A money thing. But I can't see Carpetright making a complaint. Jevani got his shirt back on in good time so the ref didn't have to brandish the card.

A goalscorer waving his shirt around his head in jubilation might be silly but it's harmless fun and getting booked for it is, as I said, bloody stupid.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Historically refs were told to book players who took off their shirts after scoring because the shirt sponsors were complaining that the optimum photo shot displaying their logos - the goalscorer celebration - was lost. A money thing. But I can't see Carpetright making a complaint. Jevani got his shirt back on in good time so the ref didn't have to brandish the card.

A goalscorer waving his shirt around his head in jubilation might be silly but it's harmless fun and getting booked for it is, as I said, bloody stupid.
If that's the reason, perhaps they should whip their shorts off instead?
#ooh.err.missus

Memphis09

No, it's an opinion.
Totally agree that’s what is good about football we all have our own opinions some people sometimes agree then sometimes they disagree but at the end of the day we all want one thing to see our club do well utc

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. But is now mandatory with no scope for discretion.

I remember Luke Rodgers as a teenager completing a hat trick and removing his shirt to celebrate. He'd already been booked so was sent off.
Sometimes I despair about the way football is going.

"Put your shirt back on you numpty and get back in your own half" said the referee.

Not going to happen though is it...

SaintJames

I dont think there is a single supporter who doesn't want MJ to return to the form we saw him in. We all know what he is capable of and what he has delivered. Therin lies the frustration for him and for us when we see performances that are way below what he can deliver. Its ironic that league two is often described as a league when skill isnt always as important as endevour. However, the physicality of league one is where it seems MJ is struggling

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont think there is a single supporter who doesn't want MJ to return to the form we saw him in. We all know what he is capable of and what he has delivered. Therin lies the frustration for him and for us when we see performances that are way below what he can deliver. Its ironic that league two is often described as a league when skill isnt always as important as endevour. However, the physicality of league one is where it seems MJ is struggling
I find it hard to work out why MJ is finding life so difficult this season. After all nearly everyone else seems to have stepped up to League One without a problem. Is it form, is it fitness, is it because League One is more physical or faster?

tonykellowfan

covid?

With MJ I do think it's down to lack of game time at L1 level and physicality. In L2 the latter was more than offset with his work rate and undoubted skill.
After promotion I did think he could struggle at this higher level and to be honest I also thought Caprice, Sparkes, Sweeney, Collins and maybe Hartridge would also find it difficult. It's great to be so wrong, although I think the jury is still out on Caprice, though under GC he seems more confident. I thought Sparkes' lack of pace would be his undoing, but I think he has improved in this department and if he had real pace he would be another going on to higher things. As for the others aforementioned, they have all be revelations as this higher level.