• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphis09

Segregation between home and away fans?
No

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with what most others have said. Beaten by the better side so no complaints. We weren't bad, they were just very good and we won't see a better side in the league at SJP this season. Not only were they good with the ball, moving it quickly and effectively, they were also very good without the ball, pressing our midfield and wing backs with intensity but happy to let our 3 centre half's knock it around between each other without any danger of creating anything.

Blackman today proved to his doubters he's good enough.

I think Nombe should start, although today I don't think it would have made a difference as our forwards had nothing to feed on. Nombe and Stanno both need balls to chase onto using their speed and balance and today that was nullified by the Ipswich midfield.

Thought our crowd was quiet, maybe a noon KO doesn't allow enough time to get the pints in.

One last point, I don't think I've ever seen an away team have so many support staff as Ipswich. Even when we've played Prem teams in the cup they haven't had a dugout full that then spills 8+ members of staff down the side of the pitch with numerous laptops, tablets and constant analysis. All a bit overkill imo.
As well as this, they were also one of the biggest and strongest teams we've seen at the Park. If we had started with Sam Nombe and tried to mix up our passing with a more direct game they would almost certainly have coped with that just as comfortably.

Memphis09

So just back from a pretty crappy day. Travelled down this morning only for the M5 to be closed just before the split because of an accident. It took an hour to leave the motorway and rejoin at Portishead. I may have had to break the speed limit to park up at 12.02 and then jog to the ground. For a 63 year old who hasnt run anywhere for years, my body was screaming, what the hell are you doing? Still made it into the ground with 7 minutes gone which I thought was a pretty decent effort. Only to go behind 3 minutes later and got me thinking as to why I had made all that effort.

As has been said, Ipswich controlled the game from start to finish and City just didnt get a look in. No qualms about being beaten by a better side but, as been mentioned above, why did we allow them all the time in the world in their half to knock it around and then pick a good pass forward. I thought Stanno and Jevani didnt work hard enough to defend from the front and it was only when Nombe came on that we started to get a little bit of a foothold in the game.

And a small complaint about the catering. I went to get a pasty at HT when the board went up for the additional minutes. When I got served, sorry no pasties as we are waiting for them to warm up. A lunchtime ko and a capacity crowd and no pasties to be served. Poor, very poor indeed. Also, there was no other hot food. So my lunch was a packet of crisps and a twix which didnt improve my mood one bit.
Agree about the pasty’s
Was told someone forgot to turn on the warmer in the stagecoach stand
Thank goodness the ladies in the end kiosk had it organised

DawlishBouy

Not on the big bank
Plus that is nearly a 1000 down on our capacity
Think someone needs to have a word with whoever says these games are sold out
Capacity is now sub 7800 isn’t it? 250 to 300 seats used for segregation/journos and 250 to 300 ticket holders not turning up explains the attendance figure. Capacity of the BB isn’t just about kow many people you can fit on the terrace but also about evacuating them in an emergency.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we are genuinely a club 'on the up' with any sort of ambition - we absolutely have to find a way to accomodate more than 7238 for a sell out fixture. No easy answers to this - I get that. But as a city/region I believe the potential for 10000+ gates exists and we have the nucleus of a team that could seriously challenge for Championship status. The current constraints of the ground are, regrettably, likely to limit our ambition to mid-table League 1 at best. Thoughts...?
I think one of the issues at the moment is that, as I undersand it, there is no financial incentive for season ticket holders to return their ticket for a game they can't get to. In the past this wasn't an issue as there was almost always spare capacity but with the potential for three or four more sell-outs this could be something to look at for the future, although I've no idea if there's an easy solution.

Memphis09

Wasn't able to watch online today because of kick off time but just read through this thread and gives a nice overall balanced picture. I did see about ten minutes just before the second goal and we looked like passengers. Seems I missed Jack Sparkes having a bad game although I still think he's been very good defensively this season and back him to bounce back.
Thought Jack Sparkes has been very good this season but have to say that is the worst game I have seen him have in a city shirt

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thought Jack Sparkes has been very good this season but have to say that is the worst game I have seen him have in a city shirt
And also, almost certainly the best right sided players he's come up against.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Honestly, if we an sustain a league position of top half in this division for another year, then we should start to think about that. We are blessed with a group of players currently that are very attractive to watch. Personally I'm dubious we can hang on to many of them beyond the end of this season. The buoyancy around the club is amazing, but we shouldn't jump the gun on how far we can go at the moment. It would be great to have those 10k numbers for Sheff Wed and Argyle but realistically we could lose both those clubs at the end of this season and pick up Wigan, Blackpool and Huddersfield instead. It would be a huge mistake to make assumptions about the future in terms of what we can sustain in terms of attendances, and one of the reasons our crowd numbers are improving is the option to stand behind the goal in the special atmosphere of the Big Bank. Ambition has to be measured and careful, we don't really have a choice in my opinion.
I agree this isn't something we should rush into but I do wonder if there is any way to make more use of the space in the away end.

Memphis09

Capacity is now sub 7800 isn’t it? 250 to 300 seats used for segregation/journos and 250 to 300 ticket holders not turning up explains the attendance figure. Capacity of the BB isn’t just about kow many people you can fit on the terrace but also about evacuating them in an emergency.
Or if your fat or thin
It was no way near 250 seats counted 60 empty in front of journos season tickets are counted

Memphis09

And also, almost certainly the best right sided players he's come up against.
That may be true but still had a very poor game

Status
Not open for further replies.