• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

Could always increase the wages of nurses - encourage UK citizens to take up the profession.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could always increase the wages of nurses - encourage UK citizens to take up the profession.
And restore the full "NHS bursary" to encourage new entrants.
Disclosure: My youngest lass was in the final full intake before Camoron, Gideon and Matron Anne Milton got out the pruning shears during those "glorious years of austerity". A decade on she is still in the profession, working for the NHS in Cambridgeshire at a senior, and fully qualified, OT. But the work is getting more and more frustrating for her due to lack of resources (and support or even acknowledgement from the "suits at the top"). Yet she still carries on regardless - because it's what she was trained to do)

Still what's the betting that, should the nurses and rest of the NHS "angels" carry out their "threat" to strike the current "Health Minister" - 2nd Lieutenant Steven Barclay - (who has had more - unrelated! - Cabinet Jobs than the IKEA returns department and probably has about the same medical qualifications and expertise as a Wolf Cub with an Elastoplast) will be encouraging yet again to go out and "clap for the (agency) carers".

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sounds like plans are afoot to try and stop the pimping out of English uni's:

Could all be hot air, but if it isn't, it's not before time.
The University of Exeter has almost 7,000 overseas students. #justsaying

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The University of Exeter has almost 7,000 overseas students. #justsaying
How many of those are on INTO courses learning English?

Mr Jinx

100% with you on this DB (y)

Jinxy to note please that DB does have opinions :)
I'm not convinced there was one there Al, but let's follow it through.

DB9 - Are you suggesting that Labour's policy of getting 50% of young people here into University was wrong?

DB9

I'm not convinced there was one there Al, but let's follow it through.

DB9 - Are you suggesting that Labour's policy of getting 50% of young people here into University was wrong?
I believe and this is my opinion that when this thing about "Everyone" should go to Uni started (Mirroring the US) it threw in degrees that at the end of it the jobs that the degree got you weren't well paid and could be done by those just going to a Poly or College with A levels, I know its going back a bit but A levels were something then, Nowadays they're just used as a tool to get into Uni. Drgree/Apprenticeships for a lot of jobs are the way forward imo, You get hands on skills, Life skills and the best training and academia in one plus not being saddled with debt.

By the way I'm not a rabid Labour supporter as you're suggesting, They done many things in power right but an awful lot wrong, Sorry if this is not a good enough answer for you oh wise one.

tavyred

Gaz Streeter MP not standing next time round. Is he sensing a Libdem surge in leafy Devon?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gaz Streeter MP not standing next time round. Is he sensing a Libdem surge in leafy Devon?
Think it was Finkelstein on Times Radio earlier this week who suggested informed wisdom in the Tory Party is that circa 150 of their MPs will stand down at the next election. Of course, many will wait until much nearer the next election before announcing their decision, but if a significant Tory defeat looks inevitable will jump ship rather than spoil their CV.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Labour in second place in South West Devon, but it will take a landslide to defeat the Tories there.

Grecian2K

Talking of which, whither your own old mukka, the "stentorian" Sir Geffers Cox? Still doing his " constituency duties" ( and topping up his own retirement funds) in the BVIs?

Still, tax havens! Mustn't Mone, eh?