• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

Yesterday was a tough day and it highlighted what the manager and pretty much everyone knew about our defensive frailties. At the Fan's Forum Gary acknowledged he was looking at bringing in reinforcements but wouldn't say much more. What wheeling and dealing do we think then in terms of incomings and outgoings? I think one if not two Centre Half's (depending on whether Stubbs will play any part after January), a Tommy Doc midfielder and a left back. To help pay for it we need to shift some higher earners off the wage bill so Harper's loan will need to be cut short and if Gary isn't going to be offering MJ a new deal next season then make him available on a free transfer. Hopefully we can hang on to Jevani and Archie as losing those two could be the same as when we sold Ronnie Jepson in 1993 and ended up with shall we say substandard replacements and relegation :)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I take the opposite, more conservative view about January transfer windows. You get very poor value in January and our most successful seasons had minimal change in January (whereas as SJ points out shuffling the pack mid season can turn out badly).

If it ain't broke don't fix it (despite yesterday, which I had the good fortune to miss). We have a decent first XI and squad of 14 or so first teamers. Players who are good enough to automatically command a first team place in a top half League One side will cost more in wages (and transfer fees?) than we can afford.The thing that does need fixing is central defence.

So I'd settle for Alfie Pond in on loan, plus a replacement for Rekeem Harper (whose loan should be terminated if he isn't going to play)

SaintJames

I take the opposite, more conservative view about January transfer windows. You get very poor value in January and our most successful seasons had minimal change in January (whereas as SJ points out shuffling the pack mid season can turn out badly).

If it ain't broke don't fix it (despite yesterday, which I had the good fortune to miss). We have a decent first XI and squad of 14 or so first teamers. Players who are good enough to automatically command a first team place in a top half League One side will cost more in wages (and transfer fees?) than we can afford.The thing that does need fixing is central defence.

So I'd settle for Alfie Pond in on loan, plus a replacement for Rekeem Harper (whose loan should be terminated if he isn't going to play)
I did have the joy of being there yesterday. Yesterday wasnt a blip as Sweens himself admitted. I think Pond will in time become a quality centre half but he is no better than what we have and lacking the experience we clearly need.

grecIAN Harris

We need another left back/wing back and a centre half or two. Jack needs competition and/or cover and whilst Stubbs is, without doubt, our best centre half he is rarely fit and we simply do not have the cover. It's alright asking Sweenz or Hartridge to step in and cover occasionally but it hasn't just been occasionally, it's been all the time. I tend to agree with Rosie on the matchday thread in that if Mr C is wanting us to play through midfield more then we need a Grimes/Gilly deep lying playmaker in midfield to orchestrate it all and leave two of Collins, Dieng, Kite and Taylor (whenever he returns) in front of them to do be the engine room.

Cowshed Grecian

Yesterday was a tough day and it highlighted what the manager and pretty much everyone knew about our defensive frailties. At the Fan's Forum Gary acknowledged he was looking at bringing in reinforcements but wouldn't say much more. What wheeling and dealing do we think then in terms of incomings and outgoings? I think one if not two Centre Half's (depending on whether Stubbs will play any part after January), a Tommy Doc midfielder and a left back. To help pay for it we need to shift some higher earners off the wage bill so Harper's loan will need to be cut short and if Gary isn't going to be offering MJ a new deal next season then make him available on a free transfer. Hopefully we can hang on to Jevani and Archie as losing those two could be the same as when we sold Ronnie Jepson in 1993 and ended up with shall we say substandard replacements and relegation :)
Who said MJ isn’t getting a new contract? Releasing him on a free? Are you mad?

denzel

Will Pond want to come back, seeing as he didn't want to play for us in the first place?

SaintJames

Who said MJ isn’t getting a new contract? Releasing him on a free? Are you mad?
Two successive managers must be mad then as I'm only going on the facts that neither manager this season has seen MJ as a starter. We have limited money is it wise to tie it up on the bench?

Red Devon

I’d like to see some natural attacking width come into the club as in a Randell Williams/Kyle Edwards type…a rock solid left back rather than the LWB variety wouldn’t go a miss either, agree with others a big commanding CB is probably top of the wish list.

arthur

Two successive managers must be mad then as I'm only going on the facts that neither manager this season has seen MJ as a starter. We have limited money is it wise to tie it up on the bench?
A perfectly good League 2/National League Player. A bit like Jay's dad...

manc grecian

I'm guessing he's not on big money and if we release him on a free transfer we'd still have to pay up the remainder of his contract.

Send Harper back and replace him with an experienced CB.

Get a replacement for Harry Smith.

Get a left sided defender in.

Dismiss the idea of playing out from the back until the summer.