• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will Pond want to come back, seeing as he didn't want to play for us in the first place?
It seems likely that Alfie's next move will be on loan to a League One or League Two club so, as we've seen with Jay, it does make sense to to ease the transition by going to a club you are already familiar with. Getting a player in on loan also doesn't block the pathway for Ed James who hopefully won't be far away from the first team next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing he's not on big money and if we release him on a free transfer we'd still have to pay up the remainder of his contract.

Send Harper back and replace him with an experienced CB.

Get a replacement for Harry Smith.

Get a left sided defender in.

Dismiss the idea of playing out from the back until the summer.
Sounds eminently sensible to me - has my vote.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's been a while since we had news of any contract extensions so hopefully some of the budget is being put aside to try and encourage some of our soon-to-be out-of-contract players to sign on.

Grecianpasty

We need a striker and defensive midfielder (depending on the stubbs situation).

We have the same defense now who where wonderful at the start of the season. So the issue isn't the players, but the team as a collective.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Sounds eminently sensible to me - has my vote.
Agreed, and while we won’t be releasing MJ in January (as that makes no sense) I do think that there is a strong possibility that he will go out on loan. He’s not happy about not playing and has pretty much said as much. led to believe he is actually on a very good contract.

I’m actually not opposed to offering MJ a new contract, but the issue will be that it will probably be a lesser contract than he is currently on so don’t see him signing.
I think this could be our busiest January for a while, but I just hope there aren’t too many outgoings that really disrupt what has been built in the last 2 years.

Reactions: Egg

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's been a while since we had news of any contract extensions so hopefully some of the budget is being put aside to try and encourage some of our soon-to-be out-of-contract players to sign on.
Given the above is probably true , it begs the question where we’ll find the cash for all the extra signings we undoubtedly need to make.

Banksy

We have the same defense now who where wonderful at the start of the season. So the issue isn't the players, but the team as a collective.
The issue is injuries or at least recovering from same.

SaintJames

I'm guessing he's not on big money and if we release him on a free transfer we'd still have to pay up the remainder of his contract.

Send Harper back and replace him with an experienced CB.

Get a replacement for Harry Smith.

Get a left sided defender in.

Dismiss the idea of playing out from the back until the summer.
Making him available for transfer in January isn't releasing him and paying him up. He would only be released in the summer if we dont offer him a new deal next summer. However, making him available in January (if he isnt going to be offered a new deal) could help both the player and the club

Red Monster

Given the above is probably true , it begs the question where we’ll find the cash for all the extra signings we undoubtedly need to make.
Surely the size of the home gates have surpassed what the club
have expectEd .
Plus two 10k paydays from FGR & Plymuff and 100k from Ipswich
none of that could have been budgeted for beforehand.
With Wednesday and Pompey to come in December, come on
there has to be money to strengthen.
Nearly forgot 500k from Pond’s transfer.

manc grecian

No chance of the ones we need to keep signing extensions. Collins, key, brown. Then trying to replace decent league one players on league two wages.

Not sure anyone was expecting a nearly out of contract Matt Jay to fetch a fee.