• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, If you're after a rest from the footie, This afternoon on BBC2 two offerings, Firstly at 1pm The Brilliant School for Scoundrels (1960) starring Terry Thomas, Alastair Sims, Ian Carmichael and straight after at 2.30pm The Titfield Thunderbolt (1953) starring Stanley Hollaway, Sid James. Two wonderful British films that will let you escape for a couple of hours.
Thanks for posting this, DB. Excellent cast in both films. The little 14xx tank engine in The Titfield Thunderbolt was a type regularly seen at St. David's. There was often one in the bay platform by Red Cow crossing, waiting to take its train up the Exe Valley line to Tiverton and Dulverton.

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
So tactless to mention this. Reminds me of one of Lionel's questions in an EACQ, which I thought I'd answered brilliantly. Fever got the points, and the rest is history.
Despite my elephantine memory, especially in connection with matters of the EACQ, the full recollection of this particular incident is eluding me.

Sincere apologies for the hurt but how many times have "we" seen a "better" answer go unrewarded ? The Roys and discretionary points from the QM (if adopted this year) go some way to ameliorating these perceived injustices.

Oldsmobile-88

Heineken using the fad of VW badges from cars being swiped by Beastie Boys followers 🤣

Oldsmobile-88

28th November 1967.

Petula Clark who a few weeks ago celebrated her 90th Birthday has a new show on the BBC.
Clark started her singing career as a child during WW2 in shows broadcasted by the BBC.
Still occasionally makes TV appearances as a guest on talk shows.

BC75EFE1-7CBB-40BF-8D89-F20DF488EEEA.jpegDB2B2208-9C5A-4DB3-BCA5-C7E7FFDD480F.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

29th November 1968.

It must be Friday because Crackerjack ! is on.. Lesley Crowther(1933-96) & Peter Glaze(1917-83) would have been the presenters in that era..Now where is my Crackerjack pencil ?

Just BBC 2 having selected Colour Transmission programmes. it would be another year before colour on BBC1 transmission, then only on a rolling regional basis which would take a few years.
TV license fee in 1968 was £5 with a £5 colour supplement for the very few who had a colour set.

E49775FD-5EDF-4226-8BFA-6496E331EFE3.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Well into the 3rd season of Bloodline(Netflix) The 2nd & 3rd seasons are as good as the 1st.

Oldsmobile-88

30th November 1985.

The first episode of Blind Date.

Reminds me of the time I was working in a house around Mt Pleasant, Exeter, when one of the young ladies in the house mentioned to me in general chit chat if I’d seen her on Blind Date a few weeks before 😁.
Iirc she worked for the E & E.. Perhaps Egg would have known her.

0C28E446-F9EB-466A-ACC5-6E42B4871C6F.jpeg

Spoonz Red E

29th November 1968.

It must be Friday because Crackerjack ! is on.. Lesley Crowther(1933-96) & Peter Glaze(1917-83) would have been the presenters in that era..Now where is my Crackerjack pencil ?

Just BBC 2 having selected Colour Transmission programmes. it would be another year before colour on BBC1 transmission, then only on a rolling regional basis which would take a few years.
TV license fee in 1968 was £5 with a £5 colour supplement for the very few who had a colour set.

View attachment 9676
Ah. Crackerjack.

I remember the song parodies at the end of each programme.
A top 10 hit of the day with re-worked lyrics to suit the sketch.
These lads were pioneers - "Weird Al" Yankovic a mere disciple :cool:

It also had the simple but effective cabbage game.
Kids were given prizes to hold on to and could keep everything up until the point they let one drop to the floor.
The difficulty in holding onto everything was that some of these 'prizes' were cabbages.

The first kid's programme I can recall that had a little bit of anarchical fun - albeit tempered by Aunty Beeb.
The gauntlet was taken up much more enthusiastically by Tiswas a decade later.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
29th November 1968.

It must be Friday because Crackerjack ! is on.. Lesley Crowther(1933-96) & Peter Glaze(1917-83) would have been the presenters in that era.
I liked those two as a double act. I remember Peter Glaze in "The Bowmans", a Tony Hancock parody of "The Archers". PG was the actor providing animal noises!

Oldsmobile-88

Ah. Crackerjack.

I remember the song parodies at the end of each programme.
A top 10 hit of the day with re-worked lyrics to suit the sketch.
These lads were pioneers - "Weird Al" Yankovic a mere disciple :cool:

It also had the simple but effective cabbage game.
Kids were given prizes to hold on to and could keep everything up until the point they let one drop to the floor.
The difficulty in holding onto everything was that some of these 'prizes' were cabbages.

The first kid's programme I can recall that had a little bit of anarchical fun - albeit tempered by Aunty Beeb.
The gauntlet was taken up much more enthusiastically by Tiswas a decade later.
I had forgotten about the reworked lyrics on popular top 10 hits of the time.

Peter Glaze as befitting his day job(Comedian) was pretty hilarious to most children watching.