• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Covid

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's your point?!
The clue is in the pic. But as you need it spelt out...Anti lockdown protesters in China are being labelled as heroes, whereas anti lockdown protesters here were labelled as little more than fruitloops. Double standards as ever.

Antony Moxey

The clue is in the pic. But as you need it spelt out...Anti lockdown protesters in China are being labelled as heroes, whereas anti lockdown protesters here were labelled as little more than fruitloops. Double standards as ever.
It isn’t. They were two different times.

Spoonz Red E

Also two different causes.
Both protests were anti-lockdown.
The right hand story was specifically about anti-vaccination.

As Jinx would discover if he did an extra 10 seconds worth of research.

The right hand headline in full ...

"Coronavirus conspiracy theorists clash with police at anti-lockdown protest
Hundreds of protesters claiming that COVID-19 was a hoax and organising under an anti-vaccination banner attended the rally."

Mr Jinx

Also two different causes.
Both protests were anti-lockdown.
The right hand story was specifically about anti-vaccination.

As Jinx would discover if he did an extra 10 seconds worth of research.

The right hand headline in full ...

"Coronavirus conspiracy theorists clash with police at anti-lockdown protest
Hundreds of protesters claiming that COVID-19 was a hoax and organising under an anti-vaccination banner attended the rally."

Well that's it isn't it.

A worthy cause (anti lockdown) rubbished by one banner (wrt hoax). That's just what the MSM do.

Spoonz Red E

Well that's it isn't it.

A worthy cause (anti lockdown) rubbished by one banner (wrt hoax). That's just what the MSM do.
I don't disagree that a pointed headline can 'shape' a story at first glance.
I'll give you that.

The best way to counter that though is to engage with the fuller facts given instead of framing the debate around cut and paste 'gotchas'.

In the case you show the headline is already being given context in the second line - not shown in your pics.

Mr Jinx

So should we be preventing or restricting flights coming from China in any way? Or just be carrying on as normal? One to discuss.

tavyred

So should we be preventing or restricting flights coming from China in any way? Or just be carrying on as normal? One to discuss.
COVID is endemic here anyway, so I don’t really see the point. I suppose a new variant might be troublesome but until one is discovered again what would be the point.
Has Saint Jacinda locked down yet BTW? 😎

Alistair20000

I was interested to see the Observer’s recent hysterical response to possible new restrictions on folk entering the country having poured bucket loads of sh!te over the Government in 2020 for being slow to restrict movements in.

Mr Jinx

I was interested to see the Observer’s recent hysterical response to possible new restrictions on folk entering the country having poured bucket loads of sh!te over the Government in 2020 for being slow to restrict movements in.
Leftists will use any stick with which to beat quite often, whilst overlooking the blatant hypocrisy of it all.

angelic upstart

Leftists will use any stick with which to beat quite often, whilst overlooking the blatant hypocrisy of it all.
Yes, massive hypocrisy indeed. That said, no one was fully aware what was happening in early 2020. They are aware now. So it's in many ways an unfair stick to beat on anyone.

Also worth noting that hypocrisy is endemic across the board in politics.