• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Average Joe

Why has no one mentioned how good GC was? Every manager in football league has had bad seasons if GC did not have a couple of off seasons then he would be the worlds best manager. Even the worlds top managers with billions to spend have off seasons.

GC won league one with Wigan, and only got sacked after loosing four games in the championship. He's got experience playing in top flight football with Celtic and Scotland, comes over with a wealth of contacts throughout English football and has got 9 points from 9 games with Exeter. Not that bad of a start seems we've played some really good teams in league one.

We were never going to set this league on fire, we were never going to be a top team in this league. I'm guessing our objective was to fight for survival and still be a league one team next season, we are on course to be a league one team next season.

I like our appointment, I'd rather a league one manager come to us and fight for survival then risking bringing someone through, this worked in league two but league two is more forgiving.

People wanted MT out this time last year and now MT is a championship manager.

Chesterfield fans have forgot when they went into the conference the year after GC left they still only finished 14th.

In GC we trust for now...

AndyR

This is a conundrum then because SaintJames has asked me not to post negative comments, whereas you ask for my perspective.
I can’t do both, because there wasn’t a single positive about GCs time as Chesterfield manager, he really was that bad.
Has he improved? He himself said he was naive at the time, so maybe he has learnt the lessons, and even though he was well backed at the start of the L2 season, the third biggest budget by all accounts, he was nothing short of a disaster.
The one thing I will say, and readily admit, is that those in charge of the club at the time were equally as bad.
OK Spireitein peace, you've made your point on 3 or 4 occasions now and it's getting a bit tedious for those of us who want to give GC a fair crack of the whip.

Might I suggest that if you're proved right, by all means come back in a few months time and say I told you so. Equally if you're wrong, and we finish in say lower mid-table, you come back and acknowledge that GC has done OK.

In the meantime, as this is a thread about the January transfer window, then unless you have any constructive suggestions to make other than don't let him sign anyone, it's probably time for you to peace off.

Agent Andy

If we don’t loose any , two centre halves with leadership qualities will be enough for comfortable mid table .
Then it all depends on the clubs ambition to push on .
As for Caldwell , let’s judge a little later down the line as he needs a fair crack at it with a bit of backing maybe .

Grecianpasty

If we don’t loose any , two centre halves with leadership qualities will be enough for comfortable mid table .
Then it all depends on the clubs ambition to push on .
As for Caldwell , let’s judge a little later down the line as he needs a fair crack at it with a bit of backing maybe .
I'm guessing by your comment there could be a possibility of us losing a centre back?

Any word on names who are being sought after @Agent Andy?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why has no one mentioned how good GC was? Every manager in football league has had bad seasons if GC did not have a couple of off seasons then he would be the worlds best manager. Even the worlds top managers with billions to spend have off seasons.

GC won league one with Wigan, and only got sacked after loosing four games in the championship. He's got experience playing in top flight football with Celtic and Scotland, comes over with a wealth of contacts throughout English football and has got 9 points from 9 games with Exeter. Not that bad of a start seems we've played some really good teams in league one.

We were never going to set this league on fire, we were never going to be a top team in this league. I'm guessing our objective was to fight for survival and still be a league one team next season, we are on course to be a league one team next season.

I like our appointment, I'd rather a league one manager come to us and fight for survival then risking bringing someone through, this worked in league two but league two is more forgiving.

People wanted MT out this time last year and now MT is a championship manager.

Chesterfield fans have forgot when they went into the conference the year after GC left they still only finished 14th.

In GC we trust for now...
He has 6 points from 7 games. The Vale game was a cup match. 6 from 21.

Last edited:

Spireitein peace

OK Spireitein peace, you've made your point on 3 or 4 occasions now and it's getting a bit tedious for those of us who want to give GC a fair crack of the whip.

Might I suggest that if you're proved right, by all means come back in a few months time and say I told you so. Equally if you're wrong, and we finish in say lower mid-table, you come back and acknowledge that GC has done OK.

In the meantime, as this is a thread about the January transfer window, then unless you have any constructive suggestions to make other than don't let him sign anyone, it's probably time for you to peace off.
Fair point mate, not here to p155 folk off. All the best for the rest of the season and maybe our paths will cross again one day, hopefully on L1.
I’ll pop back on later in the season to either say I told you so or eat humble pie.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair point mate, not here to p155 folk off. All the best for the rest of the season and maybe our paths will cross again one day, hopefully on L1.
I’ll pop back on later in the season to either say I told you so or eat humble pie.
the one thing i would say for ECFC is we seemingly have a very good head of recruitment and probably a better structure to prevent really appalling signings, but that is not impossible.

It would be interesting to know if the transfer policy is mutual agreement or if the manager gets the final say or if Marcus gets the final say.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it's unfair to judge Josh too harshly until he has a run in the team in his best position. After all it feels like the last two times he actually got into an attacking position on the right side of the box he set up a goal both times.
When I'm at games, I'm often critical of Josh making the wrong decision in and around the box. I have to remind myself of how many goal contributions he makes. I do think he should be scoring more than he does though.

ExmouthMart

the one thing i would say for ECFC is we seemingly have a very good head of recruitment and probably a better structure to prevent really appalling signings, but that is not impossible.

It would be interesting to know if the transfer policy is mutual agreement or if the manager gets the final say or if Marcus gets the final say.
That’s quite funny about the ‘Head of Recruitment’, as in he heads up a whole team, scouring the Leagues for possible signings. No one had ever heard of him till Taylor started talking him up.
As for who has the final say on signings, I’d imagine it’s the Manager who ultimately lives or dies by his team’s performance. It’s hard to judge Caldwell at the moment because he’s working with what he’s inherited. Hopefully very soon we will be able to see what the future holds as it’s plainly obvious that our squad is light on numbers and quality. We are also moving away from the Taylor/Tisdale era, so there is maybe a few bumps on the way. Give him a chance and in any case it’s not like he’s going anywhere soon, as we are a Club that doesn’t sack Managers. Taylor had enough chances and a budget to match, so let’s hope he’s given the same to prove he can keep us in League One for more than one season.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s quite funny about the ‘Head of Recruitment’, as in he heads up a whole team, scouring the Leagues for possible signings. No one had ever heard of him till Taylor started talking him up.
As for who has the final say on signings, I’d imagine it’s the Manager who ultimately lives or dies by his team’s performance. It’s hard to judge Caldwell at the moment because he’s working with what he’s inherited. Hopefully very soon we will be able to see what the future holds as it’s plainly obvious that our squad is light on numbers and quality. We are also moving away from the Taylor/Tisdale era, so there is maybe a few bumps on the way. Give him a chance and in any case it’s not like he’s going anywhere soon, as we are a Club that doesn’t sack Managers. Taylor had enough chances and a budget to match, so let’s hope he’s given the same to prove he can keep us in League One for more than one season.
Don't forget that MT essentially "grew up" with the U23s (who now form the nucleus in our first team) so knew very well what was "waiting in the wings" and just needed to recruit where he felt the future squad was weak.
GC may have to bring in more than MT did as it looks like very few of our current academy are ready to step up.
UTC