• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
With our average attendances more than double all those (small) clubs you'd think that would count for something? How much money do these wealthy backers actually put in?

Personally think that we should be able to hold our own in league 1 although I'm not happy with our ticketing policy, I think our early bird season ticket bonanza was an actual disaster.

fred binneys head

I agree that we should be able to hold our own, but it will be very difficult and will need a lot of luck along the way.

Grecian Max

With our average attendances more than double all those (small) clubs you'd think that would count for something? How much money do these wealthy backers actually put in?

Personally think that we should be able to hold our own in league 1 although I'm not happy with our ticketing policy, I think our early bird season ticket bonanza was an actual disaster.
I don’t have a season ticket so tend to ignore all the communication around them - what happened?

STURTZ

I don’t have a season ticket so tend to ignore all the communication around them - what happened?
I wont gain many freinds for saying this but they were being offered at too cheap a price, I'm an old fart agreed but £10.60 for league 1 football? Ridiculous. Said at the time that I normally pay on the gate if I had this season I'd have given City about £150 more over the course of the season, many would have given a lot more. Multiply that over 3500 or how many season tickets we sold and it's a substantial sum.

The other problem has been that with STs so cheap people dont mind missing the odd game whilst still remaining quids in, problem is that games are being called sell outs when it's clear they are not and people that want to pay real money are being turned away.

Like I said I don't expect any plaudits for pointing out this and I expect the "money at a cash starved time of the year" argument.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Forest green owner has covered £3m a year losses got years.

Mansfield run losses of millions each year

Rosencrantz

Notts County info from Kieran Maguire, another £2m loaned.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)

Andy Holt the chairman at Accrington has come out and said that every year he has to put in a minimum of £500K to offset the club losses.
Granted Accrington have small crowds but they also have one of the smallest budgets each season and he’s still having to put this amount of money in each year. This to me shows how difficult it really is for us to compete in League One and in all reality we are overachieving to even be here.

A good January (which will be difficult) is needed to keep us away from being dragged into a relegation fight which I was fully expecting at the start of the year. Anything beyond this, which I think a good January could see us achieve and I think we will have had an excellent season.

Big 3 points on Boxing Day would be massive!

DawlishBouy

Andy Holt the chairman at Accrington has come out and said that every year he has to put in a minimum of £500K to offset the club losses.
Granted Accrington have small crowds but they also have one of the smallest budgets each season and he’s still having to put this amount of money in each year. This to me shows how difficult it really is for us to compete in League One and in all reality we are overachieving to even be here.

A good January (which will be difficult) is needed to keep us away from being dragged into a relegation fight which I was fully expecting at the start of the year. Anything beyond this, which I think a good January could see us achieve and I think we will have had an excellent season.

Big 3 points on Boxing Day would be massive!
At the recent supporter’s forum Nick Hawker told us City last season had a budget competitive with the top teams in L2 and that for this season it increased to a point where he describes our budget as lower mid table. We are currently not one of the "little" clubs in L1. We are NOT overachieving.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
At the recent supporter’s forum Nick Hawker told us City last season had a budget competitive with the top teams in L2 and that for this season it increased to a point where he describes our budget as lower mid table. We are currently not one of the "little" clubs in L1. We are NOT overachieving.
our budget last year was competitive within the playoff range. To finish 2nd and get automatic promotion was overachieving.

Our budget this year is lower half League One so probably around 15-18th range. But to compete we have had to have a smaller squad and less depth which has certainly made things difficult with injuries this season to important players, most notably Stubbs.

looking at League one attendances also gives us an indication of where we sit in the food chain within this league.

Currently we are having the best crowds we have had in years and our current average attendance is 6,679 which is exceptional for us. This still only has us at 15th in this league. Oxford are at 14th and have over 1,000 more than us.

I’m not saying we are a ‘little’ club but our budget factored with our location (has much as we hate to admit it, players don’t want to come to the South West) makes it extremely difficult to compete.

By no means am I saying we can’t compete compete, but we have to get everything right off the field in order to do so and in that regard I would say the club are doing everything possible to be successful.

DawlishBouy

our budget last year was competitive within the playoff range. To finish 2nd and get automatic promotion was overachieving.

Our budget this year is lower half League One so probably around 15-18th range. But to compete we have had to have a smaller squad and less depth which has certainly made things difficult with injuries this season to important players, most notably Stubbs.

looking at League one attendances also gives us an indication of where we sit in the food chain within this league.

Currently we are having the best crowds we have had in years and our current average attendance is 6,679 which is exceptional for us. This still only has us at 15th in this league. Oxford are at 14th and have over 1,000 more than us.

I’m not saying we are a ‘little’ club but our budget factored with our location (has much as we hate to admit it, players don’t want to come to the South West) makes it extremely difficult to compete.

By no means am I saying we can’t compete compete, but we have to get everything right off the field in order to do so and in that regard I would say the club are doing everything possible to be successful.
We’re 13th. When all the games in hand are played out we could be 17th or 18th. In terms of budget and attendances we’re exactly where we should be (ie - we are not overachieving).