• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

haka

Anyone interested in "old Leeds", or more generally the 70s and 80s, should check out this YouTube account:

https://www.youtube.com/@Lufcfilms

It's not only the familiar clips from games, but also the newspaper headlines, the social history, the music etc. Although it's from a Leeds perspective, they don't gloss over the bad times, it's just good straight reporting, and brilliantly put together.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Unforgiven by Rob Bagchi and Paul Rogerson is a good read. It's basically a look back on the Revie era by two Leeds fans. It is well written and very informative, especially for someone like me who wasn't around at that time so get the traditional view of dirty Leeds.
There is a book printed about 20 years ago by one of Les Cockers sons(Can’t recall what it was called) which was a interesting insight into Cockers time as coach(Trainer as they were called in those days)He was Don Revies right hand man. You got the impression that he was someone you did not ‘mess with’ Revie was the charm & Cocker was the steel I would imagine.

There was a funny anecdote about the FA Cup Trophy as it travelled back to Leeds, It was hung out the door window by some of the youngsters who were with the official party as the train travelled through Doncaster😁

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't all the PR stuff Leeds turned to and the sock tags down to Paul Trevillion. He was a sports illustrator/artist who I remember doing work for Roy of the Rovers in the 80's. I think he approached Don Revie to suggest they try to improve their image with the gimmicks.
Trevillion also had a log association with The Guardian and The Observer:

Oldsmobile-88

I can remember watching this game on MoTD

Oldsmobile-88

Oldsmobile-88

Dave Kemp who was mentioned on another thread, scoring the 2nd Palace goal.

I wonder if our friend from Pompey remembers him from his time at Fratton Park for a couple of seasons after he left Crystal Palace ?

lamrobhero

I have a memory of watching Dave Mackay (scorer of the first goal) at SJP, can't remember the context or maybe I am hallucinating.

lamrobhero

I have a memory of watching Dave Mackay (scorer of the first goal) at SJP, can't remember the context or maybe I am hallucinating.
Maybe a friendly against Swindon in which Don Rogers played?

Oldsmobile-88

Maybe a friendly against Swindon in which Don Rogers played?
I checked on Grecian Archive, There was a friendly against Swindon in August 1973, but Dave Mackay had left the year before as had Don Rogers, Rogers went to Crystal Palace. He scored one of the goals in the 5-0 hammering of MU in Dec 1972 which lead to Frank O’Farrell getting the sack.

lamrobhero

I checked on Grecian Archive, There was a friendly against Swindon in August 1973, but Dave Mackay had left the year before as had Don Rogers, Rogers went to Crystal Palace. He scored one of the goals in the 5-0 hammering of MU in Dec 1972 which lead to Frank O’Farrell getting the sack.
That's a mystery. I have a distinct memory of a large Swindon fan following, Don Rogers showing off his skills and Dave Mackay in the 6 yard box at the St James Road end. Unless its all a dream, an illusion now.