• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Christ, I'd have him back here in a flash! Could probably still do a job. One of the most effective midfielders I've ever seen in the red and white. Trouble is I think the sunnier climes of Nashville probably outdo the top of Sidwell Street.
I agree and would have him back. We could afford him as well as he's not greedy. A Tenner sees him good.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not a former player but a link to one via Gianluca Vialli who sadly passed away today.

He signed for Chelsea in the Summer of 96 and his first game was as a substitute against us in a pre-season friendly.

He stayed on the bench and the result was a 1-0 win for us the winning goal being a superb piece of play by “the Whimple Whippet” who picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch just inside the Chelsea half turned on the after burners and ran through the heart of their defence before firing an unstoppable shot past their keeper……one of the best goals I have seen from a City player at SJP.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a former player but a link to one via Gianluca Vialli who sadly passed away today.

He signed for Chelsea in the Summer of 96 and his first game was as a substitute against us in a pre-season friendly.

He stayed on the bench and the result was a 1-0 win for us the winning goal being a superb piece of play by “the Whimple Whippet” who picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch just inside the Chelsea half turned on the after burners and ran through the heart of their defence before firing an unstoppable shot past their keeper……one of the best goals I have seen from a City player at SJP.
{Pedant Alert} I remember it being 2-1 with Matty Hare heading our first from a corner. Sad news though about Luca. Along with Gullit and Zola, probably the first real big foreign players in to the PL. You can argue about Villa and Ardiles for the old Division One I guess.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely the head of media would be Danny Coles.
Coles doing social media, with Sercs on public relations. Sorted 😀

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
{Pedant Alert} I remember it being 2-1 with Matty Hare heading our first from a corner. Sad news though about Luca. Along with Gullit and Zola, probably the first real big foreign players in to the PL. You can argue about Villa and Ardiles for the old Division One I guess.
Arnold Mühren and Frans Thijssen signed by Bobby Robson for a combined £350,000 for Ipswich were the first and arguably the best foreign players in 1978

Bridgy 81

Sheffield Wednesday are at home against Newcastle live on the BBC in the FA Cup at 6 o’clock tomorrow.
Ironically now Cameron Dawson is their No1 Stockdale, who he recently replaced, may well play as often is the case with how the bigger teams rotate their keepers between cup and league matches.
It might be worth checking just before kickoff though as it’d be interesting to see Cam play against one of the Premier League’s top teams.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Eight years and counting awaiting that sell-on. We're fast-approaching Coppinger territory.

Andy_H

I think that after 8 years in Wales he's definitely part of the Tafia and a fully paid up member of the, 'hold these two sheep while i count them' family!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Arnold Mühren and Frans Thijssen signed by Bobby Robson for a combined £350,000 for Ipswich were the first and arguably the best foreign players in 1978
The European Community’s freedom of movement law in early 1978 lifted the closed shop of the Football League. At the FL AGM in June of that year the effective FL ban on players from outside of the UK had to be lifted. It all seemed so exotic at the time. Ivan Golac the Yugoslav full back signed for Southampton, Argentine Alberto Tarantini to Birmingham, fellow Argentine Alex Sabella at Sheffield Utd.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The European Community’s freedom of movement law in early 1978 lifted the closed shop of the Football League. At the FL AGM in June of that year the effective FL ban on players from outside of the UK had to be lifted. It all seemed so exotic at the time. Ivan Golac the Yugoslav full back signed for Southampton, Argentine Alberto Tarantini to Birmingham, fellow Argentine Alex Sabella at Sheffield Utd.
as you say exotic names that seemed light years away from Nobby Stiles :)