• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could somebody, and that'll probably be anybody, with better IT skills and a more modern computer than i, possibly superimpose a plan of SJP spun around as per this 'idea', onto a plan of SJP today to prove that it won't work.
No need. I measured it (literally) a number of years ago.

Andy_H

No need. I measured it (literally) a number of years ago.
Ant, i trust you implicitly but there are those 'Doubting Thomas' on Exeweb who need that little bit more convincing.

Antony Moxey

Ant, i trust you implicitly but there are those 'Doubting Thomas' on Exeweb who need that little bit more convincing.
F*** ‘em, I don’t have to prove anything to anyone, its up to them whether they believe me or not.

fred binneys head

selling out 5 home games in a row is a financial bleddy disaster for a business the size of ECFC and worthy IMO of a response from the club.
What about if it cost us £5m to sell 500 more tickets?

It’s not difficult to understand our predicament and I know you do, but to claim selling the ground out is a “financial disaster” is about as hyperbolic as saying, I don’t know, and I’m picking a topic at random here, that Brexit was a success for Britain 😘

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just buy up everything behind the Selco, flatten the feckin lot, build a **** off big stand with shops and some parking fronting onto Old Tivvy Road. As I keep saying, simple.

Boyo

I get that, but for all anyone knows if we had unlimited tickets we might have only boosted the crowd by half a dozen. I would say us selling out five on the spin is far from financial disaster, especially as I would imagine the club hadn’t budgeted for these sell outs.
Any organisation that relies on c25 “events” each year to generate a massive proportion of its income and has to turn away punters, is far from ideal. Of course sell outs are better than unsold tickets, but sell outs still represent a lost opportunity to increase revenue.
The Pompey game was sold out weeks in advance. Sheffield Wednesday sold 2,800 at Wycombe. Argyle would sell 5,000 tickets if we gave them that many.
I would hope that the Club Board have noted this issue and are considering options, even if it’s thinking about commissioning a report to understand options and associated costs.

Antony Moxey

Any organisation that relies on c25 “events” each year to generate a massive proportion of its income and has to turn away punters, is far from ideal. Of course sell outs are better than unsold tickets, but sell outs still represent a lost opportunity to increase revenue.
The Pompey game was sold out weeks in advance. Sheffield Wednesday sold 2,800 at Wycombe. Argyle would sell 5,000 tickets if we gave them that many.
I would hope that the Club Board have noted this issue and are considering options, even if it’s thinking about commissioning a report to understand options and associated costs.
And how many millions would it cost to increase the capacity to accommodate an extra couple of thousand a couple of times a year?

STURTZ

The main trick that we missed was in not building a new foundation retaining wall closer to the pitch which would have enabled the stand to be a lot longer, The Doble stand was originally set back to allow the whole pitch to be moved in that direction and space was left on the Stansfield side. Imho it was very shortsighted not to do this, particularly after cutting down the size of the original Doble stand build to make provision for it!!
That was a massive surprise to me as well It was always understood that the pitch would be moved to enable us to get more room for the new grandstand and we didn't. Such a shame but done now.

Cowshed Grecian

It can’t be that hard to build a tunnel over the railway line and build the other half of our Stanno stand. There is a tunnel on that train line to Exmouth about 500 yards down. I’m no engineer but it can’t be that hard to build a tunnel or find a solution in this day and age surely.

Colesman Ballz

It can’t be that hard to build a tunnel over the railway line and build the other half of our Stanno stand. There is a tunnel on that train line to Exmouth about 500 yards down. I’m no engineer but it can’t be that hard to build a tunnel or find a solution in this day and age surely.
You can totally forget that one Cowpat ! You can't build over someone's land without their agreement, and given that the railway won't even sell us the Jungle Path, let alone build over it that idea is "dead in the water". And that is a professional opinion, from my experience in dealing with them.