• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure I can remember a transfer window like it, and that’s since late 70’s for me. Feels like a real sea change at the club. Who knows what we can achieve by May !. We will lose big guns in the summer no doubt, but let’s enjoy the ride ! UTC

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only downside is we have headless chicken still, at least there's no pressure to play him as much now...
Isn't the opposite true? We now need to play Josh Key as much as possible to maximise any fee we will get from a tribunal.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
My god that was a long day!
What a very different club we are these days. If we believe Agent Andy, I I think most of us do, then we have turned down good offers for 3 of our "star" players. Given what I would have thought most of us would consider to be their value, that must equate to at least £1.5-2M quid in total we've turned down to keep our team together. If there are people out there looking for answers to the question does the club have ambition? I think this must really answer that in the strongest terms.
I don't think I can remember a Transfer window this positive before, what a fantastic job Gary, Marcus, the board and everyone else involved has done. If we don't have a successful rest of the season now, it certainly won't be for the want of trying.
I'm struggling to take in the transformation our beloved club has gone through over the last few years, its bleddy wonderful!!!
UTC!
I desperately hope this is true and that this ambition doesn't turn out to be as reckless as last time we were in the position when our desperation to get in the play-offs nearly bankrupted the club. However, everything we see from the club suggests we have learnt the lessons from that time and that the club is run much more sensibly now.

tonykellowfan

I wonder what Matt Taylor is thinking about our transfer window?

tavyred

I desperately hope this is true and that this ambition doesn't turn out to be as reckless as last time we were in the position when our desperation to get in the play-offs nearly bankrupted the club. However, everything we see from the club suggests we have learnt the lessons from that time and that the club is run much more sensibly now.

I always felt our last stay in LG1 was scuppered by our inability to sustain a LG1 team rather than a ill judged desperation to get to the playoffs. I maybe misremembering on that though.
When the Trust fella said the other day that King Gary would be getting a substantial amount of money for this window, he wasn’t wrong was he?
We should definitely be looking up rather than down for the remainder of the season.
These are halcyon days.

Agent Andy

We’ve had a great window and I hope this puts the Caldwell doubters to bed . To turn down good offers shows the club are willing to transition to a top half league one outfit and hopefully beyond . Let’s hope we can persuade a few to sign long term and keep backing Gary as much as possible. OVER AND OUT 👍

Ex-ciderrr

I am Impressed to say the least, not an easy day yesterday being a Grecian but full credit to the club “backing” Caldwell not only with the incomings over the course of the month, but like many have eluded to keeping our players that have been subject to interest too. Top work from all parties.

There will be ups, downs, moans, and groans at times but that’s football and supporting Exeter City but I am really excited for the 2nd half of the season to just see what we can do and see where we end up I don’t feel there’s pressure to get the playoffs at all but look where we are, just take it game by game and see where the remainder of the season takes us, we’ve a good squad here again i know it’s likely to change in the summer but that’s then and this is now!

UTC Roll on the weekend

Colesman Ballz

I wonder what Matt Taylor is thinking about our transfer window?
Probably not had much chance to think about it, as he has been far too busy with his own comings and goings. He will be much interested come the summer when certain of our players contracts expire !

Pete Martin (CTID)

I always felt our last stay in LG1 was scuppered by our inability to sustain a LG1 team rather than a ill judged desperation to get to the playoffs. I maybe misremembering on that though.
When the Trust fella said the other day that King Gary would be getting a substantial amount of money for this window, he wasn’t wrong was he?
We should definitely be looking up rather than down for the remainder of the season.
These are halcyon days.
That was certainly Tisdale's opinion. I remember him bemoaning the loss of the guts of that L1 team at a supporters' club meeting he attended.

Grecianpasty

The only surprising factor to me is that the club decided to keep Key, and not use him as a bank rolling option for future transfer windows. I know it may not be a popular opinion, my consideration being that we rely upon transfer fees to keep our finances afloat. Looks like a calculated high risk move.