• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 22/23

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

DawlishBouy

More interaction with Southampton:
Thomas John is lead Schoolboys Strength & Conditioning Coach at the Premiership club.

Christian

Looks like Oxford 5 - 0 FGR, so the boys slip out of Merit League 1

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looks like Oxford 5 - 0 FGR, so the boys slip out of Merit League 1
Is that just for the rest of this season?

DawlishBouy

Is that just for the rest of this season?
Yes. Top 5 in Youth Alliance South West League play against the top 5 from the South East in Merit League One. City and the other 4 bottom clubs will play the weaker teams from the South East in Merit League Two.

andrew p long

a lengthy write up of the week's activity. The new U18s coach putting down a marker; showing the players what he's about and us supporters that lots going on under him. Let's hope this is the start of a period of stability in the U18 team coaching after the upheavals of this season.

Meanwhile, there was (IIRC) mention that the national released players trials were taking place (?) in the piece on Cheikh Diabate a week or so ago. Which reminds me - when do we find out which U18s have been offered/signed pro contracts? Five so far was a number mentioned including Cox and Lee. GC said Beardmore too and my best guess for the other two is James and King. But would be nice to hear soon (though perhaps there is continuing uncertainty/talks going on)

Last edited:

DawlishBouy

From the above article:
Tom Donati, head coach under 18’s - "We used four different systems in the game". Caldwell’s influence already shaping the academy?

jrg333

According to Facebook, Leicester have poached Lewis McNab, 16yo GK, from our academy.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to Facebook, Leicester have poached Lewis McNab, 16yo GK, from our academy.
Chelski / Chelsedollar first now Leicester - when will the FA understand the need to allow PL £s to go down pyramid to keep production of British International talent going for betterment of Home Countries and oppose supporting purchase of players from foreign clubs so that £s go outside our leagues & prop up foreign clubs ?

What happened to FA / Government support for lower league clubs ?

andrew p long

Hmmm. McNab was listed in the academy scholars (as either U17 or U16) by DB at post 74 on this thread. I can't remember him playing for the U18s in recent times (or since then?). Match reports in 2023 have had Dylan Shanahan in goal for the U18s and on one occasion Dan Layer. Pre Christmas it was of course mainly Sowden and Lee.

Two possibilities . Either we wanted him to stay and Leicester will have to stump up (limited, formula) compensation under the EPPP. Or alternatively we released him (in my field of work there were often enthusiastic articles about individuals who had been 'poached' when the reality was very different)

Anybody know the facts on this? (I know nothing!)