• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember that, the ultimate transparency era post R&L 😅

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was actually slightly disappointed that yesterday's attendance was only 6400!

cambmike

We need a steady % of wins at home. Winning away doesn't pay so well.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was actually slightly disappointed that yesterday's attendance was only 6400!
Actually I was surprised that it was still so high (Whoosh alert fully on! :p). Especially bearing in mind MJP's constant reminders of our dearth of decent home performances (let alone actual WINS) since GC took over.

Currently we are averaging 6,750 at SJP. Away support is averaging 596 meaning that CITY support is still comfortably north of 6K.

Compare and contrast with, even, last year's promotion season when overall average was 5,312 (with 316 guests)...i.e. slightly south of even 5K.
Last season we only managed THREE crowds over 6K - and that was in the final run in. This year (so far) we've only had FOUR under that magic figure.

The last time we averaged over the "magic six" was 1964-65 (6,480 actually) - when admission was around "two bob" - or "half a crown" if you fancied one of the "posh seats" in the OG. And a half time cuppa and pasty probably cost about a "tanner".

Even during our (arguably) most glorious years at this level between 77-84 the overall league average was only 4,124.

In the Championship season it couldn't even break 5K (4,858) and, in the following Cooper/Ball era it sunk even further to 3,637. Even in our darkest Conference days the overall overage was only marginally less (3,629).

During Tisdale's brief tenure there things did improve somewhat (to 5,233) but sank back (pre Covid) to 4,153 back in the fourth tier.

So for this year at least the numbers must be exceeding even the most pessimistic ECFC bean-counters' financial predictions. Hopefully at least some of this might be diverted to GC's war chest for next season's campaign...wherever we may finally end up.

Let's face it. Things might sometimes feel a bit grim (especially after back to back defeats) but, at least support wise, these are still - to quote Springsteen - GLORY DAYS!

UTC

Nigel E

The new stand makes a huge difference. I liked the quirky old stand, but most people want an unimpaired view and modern loos. Also the catering has improved - these things really matter to the uncommitted.

And for a lot of people it's not just about seeing a winning team, the standard of football is important. League 1 is a decent step up in quality - aside from the Cheltenham home game I can't recall too many truly ugly matches. That kind of match was almost the norm in League 2.

Boyo

The new stand makes a huge difference. I liked the quirky old stand, but most people want an unimpaired view and modern loos. Also the catering has improved - these things really matter to the uncommitted.
Agreed. Loads of people are on the concourse early, having a beer or two and eating, while watching the live Premiership football on the screens. Imagine if we had those facilities all round the ground!

Pmc grecian

Actually I was surprised that it was still so high (Whoosh alert fully on! :p). Especially bearing in mind MJP's constant reminders of our dearth of decent home performances (let alone actual WINS) since GC took over.
Yea it’s exciting times to support city
Currently we are averaging 6,750 at SJP. Away support is averaging 596 meaning that CITY support is still comfortably north of 6K.

Compare and contrast with, even, last year's promotion season when overall average was 5,312 (with 316 guests)...i.e. slightly south of even 5K.
Last season we only managed THREE crowds over 6K - and that was in the final run in. This year (so far) we've only had FOUR under that magic figure.

The last time we averaged over the "magic six" was 1964-65 (6,480 actually) - when admission was around "two bob" - or "half a crown" if you fancied one of the "posh seats" in the OG. And a half time cuppa and pasty probably cost about a "tanner".

Even during our (arguably) most glorious years at this level between 77-84 the overall league average was only 4,124.

In the Championship season it couldn't even break 5K (4,858) and, in the following Cooper/Ball era it sunk even further to 3,637. Even in our darkest Conference days the overall overage was only marginally less (3,629).

During Tisdale's brief tenure there things did improve somewhat (to 5,233) but sank back (pre Covid) to 4,153 back in the fourth tier.

So for this year at least the numbers must be exceeding even the most pessimistic ECFC bean-counters' financial predictions. Hopefully at least some of this might be diverted to GC's war chest for next season's campaign...wherever we may finally end up.

Let's face it. Things might sometimes feel a bit grim (especially after back to back defeats) but, at least support wise, these are still - to quote Springsteen - GLORY DAYS!

UTC

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there an echo in here?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster

And for a lot of people it's not just about seeing a winning team, the standard of football is important. League 1 is a decent step up in quality - aside from the Cheltenham home game I can't recall too many truly ugly matches. That kind of match was almost the norm in League 2.
A covered away stand makes a difference too (contrary to what some argued on here at the time).

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
A covered away stand makes a difference too (contrary to what some argued on here at the time).
It all makes a difference, improved facilities inc toilets and big screens, improved catering, higher standard of football. For the casual fan this makes the choice of whether to attend or not a lot easier. If you have a nice experience and your friend or child that you attend with does as well, you'll be back.