• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jevani Brown

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do a search “Premiership player rape allegation” and you will find it all.

I have been to a match with 60,000 + in attendance. The alleged rapist was playing for the away team and got a bit of stick from the home crowd but nothing to get excited about.

His Club clearly had no problems, moral or otherwise, in selecting him to play and he had a good game.
Okay, I've Googled this now...

Seems the player in question hasn't yet been charged with anything – at this stage, there's merely an investigation ongoing. Think it might be difficult, legally, for the player's club to suspend him in those circumstances.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Taking a step back, it really is a no win situation for the club. They have really been pushing #hergametoo etc and my feeling from looking around at SJP is that there are indeed more women at the ground compared to 10/15 years ago.

This has always been about optics - and that is why he isn’t playing. Having someone with that charge running around in front of Her Game Too advertising banners has the potential to look hugely hypocritical.

My personal belief is there I’d more to this story than meets the eye, based on no facts whatsoever. I would also love to see him play for City again. But the club have no room for manoeuvre on this IMO.

fred binneys head

There is of course a Premiership player accused of rape and currently on bail who has continued to play for his club.
Hasn’t been charged with any criminal offence yet.

Nigel E

The argument that he won't be a City player next season so we should try to get on without him is one I have put forward but it should have no bearing on the moral decision over whether he plays or not. I'm actually beginning to agree with Ballzy, in that this court case is taking way too long and as it stands the charges are not proven. I'm not sure that in another job someone awaiting judgment in a case of this nature would be suspended from work, although I really don't know if that's true, feel free to correct me, I'm sure you will! Obviously if he is convicted it's a whole different ball game.
There's quite a few references on this thread to Jevani being suspended by the club. This isn't true as far as I can tell, he's still training, and being paid presumably. It's a pedantic but important distinction.

There are many spheres of employment where, when an employee is facing charges like these, they are withdrawn from "public-facing duties". This happens in the Police service a lot. (In some cases, when certain individuals should have been suspended or sacked outright).

Playing 90 minutes every week is Jevani's "public-facing duty" and the club has decided he should for now not be asked to perform it. All his other employment duties and benefits seem to be continuing.

Rosencrantz

There is of course a Premiership player accused of rape and currently on bail who has continued to play for his club.
There was of course another Premiership player who when charged with rape was immediately suspended by his club. He was recently found not guilty of most of those charges with another two not being able to reach a verdict.

Alistair20000

At the risk of asking a stupid question, who is this?!
I think it would be wrong for me to name the gentleman in question.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is getting boring now...

What will be will be 👍he's not guilty brilliant he plays if he is guilty say bye bye and move on,the club already don't need the negative publicity and are doing "relatively" well in the domestic season without him,so whatever happens next we deal with as a club accordingly.

The real kicker is not having cover for Brown being the biggest issue personally if we kept Jay let's say while Jev was out as well as our other additions budget pending or not (I know hindsight is a wonderful thing) then that would stop a lot of the moaning as we'd have more depth and potential creativity,and if we get Jev back it would only be a bonus if not guilty and if guilty then we'd still be in a strong position,and could wipe any potential slates clean and move on from this.

This needs to end quickly.
Unlikly unless the charge gets dropped completely.

Alistair20000

No but these allegations are far more serious than the charge made against Jevani Brown

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
And we all know that premiershite have no morals!

We have been promoting ourselves as a family club, a community club, and then one of our players gets arrested and charged with assault, but hey forget our ethos let's play him still as he happens to be one of our better players, we'll pick up our ethos after the court case!

What happened to the young goalie who did something(I don't know what), is he with us anymore?

Until the court case is over I would not advocate him playing for us, and should he do so before, I would not be joining in any chants adulating him.

This topic is obviously very divisive among supporters, however I am proud that the club have taken the action it has despite all the repercussions, once again proving we are no ordinary football club
Divisive yes can’t help wondering if the general reaction would have been different if it was, for want of a better word, a more average squad member.

angelic upstart

Kurt Zouma kicked his cat, got done for it and had nothing in terms of sanctions from his club.