• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jevani Brown

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
It's assumed other clubs will want him as he's been a stand out player this season, undoubtedly the best at our club, who could easily play in the championship based on the last season. As for the contract, any championship club who is interested in him will be able to offer 5-10x higher wages than we could offer without batting an eye. He will certainly have other clubs interested in him no matter the outcome of the court case. If he has any interest in leaving we don't have the means to convince him to stay. If he were to stay with us it would only be out of loyalty and love for the club, but this is a business and his career. I, and presumably many others, wouldn't hold it against him for taking a better offer elsewhere.
Would any player want to stay at a football club that wouldn't let him play before any actual judgement had been passed upon him ?

Nigel E

As someone who supports the Club and goes to watch football I sometimes wish we were just an ordinary football Club.
I suspect that most ordinary clubs would now take the approach our Club has taken.

First, I'd be surprised and disappointed if the Club hadn't had a strong word with the whole squad about their expectations of off-field behaviour following the Terrace incident. Whatever the precise circumstances of Jevani's episode, for the Club not to respond to it in some way would have badly undermined club discipline.

Second, it is also the soundest business decision. There would be negative reputational and financial repercussions from turning a blind eye to this allegation that would far outweigh the potential loss of points from losing one player from the match squad. People can shout into the void all they like about "wokeness", but the world has moved on. And people can also rant on about being "innocent until proven guilty", but that rule has only ever applied in the Court Room. The court of public opinion has always been much harsher and swifter, and would have been much less kind to the Club.

Third, it would have been a massive distraction for the Club and potentially the other players too, to have to justify in the media retaining Jevani in the squad while this charge hangs over him. It is possible that there are mitigating circumstances surrounding Jevani's actions that night. But the problem is that no-one at the club would have been at liberty to explain what they were, otherwise charges of contempt of court might well have been risked. Consequently, the successive adjournments actually make the Club's decision look wiser each time the court date is pushed back.

Last, I think the Club have actually been quite even-handed and supportive of Jevani by not suspending him (in the employment sense), so that he is around his mates and isn't stuck stewing at home. I would imagine this has played well with the rest of the squad, helping with team morale.

Elliott L

Would any player want to stay at a football club that wouldn't let him play before any actual judgement had been passed upon him ?
He's still training, he appeared in a photo on the clubs instagram looking pretty happy, we don't know the specifics of the situation. He might be understanding of the position the club are in. He knows the reason for their decision, we don't. So maybe he would want to stay, again we don't know.

Squeezebox

I suspect that most ordinary clubs would now take the approach our Club has taken.

First, I'd be surprised and disappointed if the Club hadn't had a strong word with the whole squad about their expectations of off-field behaviour following the Terrace incident. Whatever the precise circumstances of Jevani's episode, for the Club not to respond to it in some way would have badly undermined club discipline.

Second, it is also the soundest business decision. There would be negative reputational and financial repercussions from turning a blind eye to this allegation that would far outweigh the potential loss of points from losing one player from the match squad. People can shout into the void all they like about "wokeness", but the world has moved on. And people can also rant on about being "innocent until proven guilty", but that rule has only ever applied in the Court Room. The court of public opinion has always been much harsher and swifter, and would have been much less kind to the Club.

Third, it would have been a massive distraction for the Club and potentially the other players too, to have to justify in the media retaining Jevani in the squad while this charge hangs over him. It is possible that there are mitigating circumstances surrounding Jevani's actions that night. But the problem is that no-one at the club would have been at liberty to explain what they were, otherwise charges of contempt of court might well have been risked. Consequently, the successive adjournments actually make the Club's decision look wiser each time the court date is pushed back.

Last, I think the Club have actually been quite even-handed and supportive of Jevani by not suspending him (in the employment sense), so that he is around his mates and isn't stuck stewing at home. I would imagine this has played well with the rest of the squad, helping with team morale.
That is a very sensible post sir!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster

Pretty much the best post on this thread

fred binneys head

Yep, Nigel's post is spot on. And you never know, if the charges are dropped or he's found to be innocent, maybe the way we've protected Jev will make him more likely to sign a new contract with us in June?

*sound of straws being clutched*

geoffwp

That is a very sensible post sir!
Is it? Really?

Grecian Max

Is it? Really?
Yeah, it is.

Ultimately, this is a PR exercise. The club have painted themselves into a corner in some respects, if you espouse community and in particular elevate womens football to a level on par with the mens then you can't really be playing someone on that charge, even if it's innocent until proven guilty. The risk involved is around what happens if the verdict doesn't go the way we/the club want it. It's damage limitation.

I think you and others are getting confused with people laying out the reasoning as to why he's not involved vs whether they have an issue with Jevani playing. If he was picked tomorrow I'd be buzzing as he'd make us a better side and he's one of my favourite ever City players. But I accept that the club haver their hands tied with this, in 2023.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's still training, he appeared in a photo on the clubs instagram looking pretty happy, we don't know the specifics of the situation. He might be understanding of the position the club are in. He knows the reason for their decision, we don't. So maybe he would want to stay, again we don't know.
He's still eating with the lads - see video of Chefchenko

Rosencrantz

Wasn't Mendy remanded in custody? If so, Citeh didn't really have much option but to suspend him.
They didn't have to release a statement confirming that though. If "the other" player also gets charged, I would expect the same to happen.