• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jevani Brown

AndyR

As a matter of interest, how many women are posting on this thread criticising the Club's stance on this?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a matter of interest, how many women are posting on this thread criticising the Club's stance on this?
Doh ! Probably exactly the same number who are posting on this thread supporting the Club's stance ! ;)

Grecianman135

As someone who supports the Club and goes to watch football I sometimes wish we were just an ordinary football Club.
Define normal 😂

Grecianman135

Which is a fair point again to this whole issue city does obviously have a female following which is probably a massive influence upon the club's actions also it's not just the male side of this argument that needs to be taken into account whether correct or not an allegation has been made involving a young women and we as a club needed to take some kind of stance for it until more information comes to light young female city fans for example would they still idolise a player who's potentially done what the accusations claim?

It's possibly a big factor in the clubs CHOICE to not play Jev.

Just food for thought in this whole issue.

Colesman Ballz

I suspect that most ordinary clubs would now take the approach our Club has taken.

First, I'd be surprised and disappointed if the Club hadn't had a strong word with the whole squad about their expectations of off-field behaviour following the Terrace incident. Whatever the precise circumstances of Jevani's episode, for the Club not to respond to it in some way would have badly undermined club discipline.

Second, it is also the soundest business decision. There would be negative reputational and financial repercussions from turning a blind eye to this allegation that would far outweigh the potential loss of points from losing one player from the match squad. People can shout into the void all they like about "wokeness", but the world has moved on. And people can also rant on about being "innocent until proven guilty", but that rule has only ever applied in the Court Room. The court of public opinion has always been much harsher and swifter, and would have been much less kind to the Club.

Third, it would have been a massive distraction for the Club and potentially the other players too, to have to justify in the media retaining Jevani in the squad while this charge hangs over him. It is possible that there are mitigating circumstances surrounding Jevani's actions that night. But the problem is that no-one at the club would have been at liberty to explain what they were, otherwise charges of contempt of court might well have been risked. Consequently, the successive adjournments actually make the Club's decision look wiser each time the court date is pushed back.
Last, I think the Club have actually been quite even-handed and supportive of Jevani by not suspending him (in the employment sense), so that he is around his mates and isn't stuck stewing at home. I would imagine this has played well with the rest of the squad, helping with team morale.
There have been three separate issues in the public domain this season. Jack Arthur, The Terrace and Jevani. The first of those which was similar in nature to Jevani, yet the Club made no big public statement or issue over it. Jack suddenly appeared in goal for Crediton and that was that and everyone was left to wonder why ! That is when the Club needed to remind players of any public responsibilities they have, and may have indeed done so. IMO The Terrace incident was a "different kettle of fish", a group of players on a night out with partners etc who come under provocation from another group, however much you might wish them to walk away from that in an ideal world, in can be no great surprise that they stuck up for one another.
And so to Jevani, I do not agree with your assertion that the Club made the soundest decision from a business perspective, that to my mind is decidedly ""wokist" and ignores reality. We are in the entertainment business and attendances are related to success on the field. If we are playing well and winning they increase, and conversely they go down when we we are not. That is the major driver for the majority of people, not whether the ethics are in the correct place. We are in a competitive market against not only other sport but for the wider leisure pound. Jevani is the number 1 entertainer in our team, who puts the bums on seats. That's not to say that he shouldn't be punished if found guilty, but it should be at the conclusion of the court case.
It is one of the failings of ECFC that it does not treat these regrettable situations in a cohesive manner. I vividly remember when our Captain David Noble was up on serious charges in Crown Court but the Club kept it "under wraps" and not only was he still selected but retained the armband as well.

gilbertshoot

There have been three separate issues in the public domain this season. Jack Arthur, The Terrace and Jevani. The first of those which was similar in nature to Jevani, yet the Club made no big public statement or issue over it. Jack suddenly appeared in goal for Crediton and that was that and everyone was left to wonder why ! That is when the Club needed to remind players of any public responsibilities they have, and may have indeed done so. IMO The Terrace incident was a "different kettle of fish", a group of players on a night out with partners etc who come under provocation from another group, however much you might wish them to walk away from that in an ideal world, in can be no great surprise that they stuck up for one another.
And so to Jevani, I do not agree with your assertion that the Club made the soundest decision from a business perspective, that to my mind is decidedly ""wokist" and ignores reality. We are in the entertainment business and attendances are related to success on the field. If we are playing well and winning they increase, and conversely they go down when we we are not. That is the major driver for the majority of people, not whether the ethics are in the correct place. We are in a competitive market against not only other sport but for the wider leisure pound. Jevani is the number 1 entertainer in our team, who puts the bums on seats. That's not to say that he shouldn't be punished if found guilty, but it should be at the conclusion of the court case.
It is one of the failings of ECFC that it does not treat these regrettable situations in a cohesive manner. I vividly remember when our Captain David Noble was up on serious charges in Crown Court but the Club kept it "under wraps" and not only was he still selected but retained the armband as well.
Oh, Christ hear we go! Please define 'wokist'

geoffwp

Oh, Christ hear we go! Please define 'wokist'
Personally I think it's a brilliant word.

gilbertshoot

Personally I think it's a brilliant word.
Depends on your definition. Originally was to describe someone who showed an understanding of social injustice.

Reactions: Egg

geoffwp

Meanings change and flow, one reason I guess why English is such a vibrant language.

gilbertshoot

Agree. Just a shame how definitions get twisted to suit certain political ideals.