• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
It depends. It can be used as another rallying call. Dem stitch up etc etc. There's nothing like a martyr
Exactly. Populism in a nutshell. See also Johnson, Corbyn etc etc.

The big question is, having identified what makes these people tick, why you think it's a good idea to vote for them?

Mr Jinx

The big question is, having identified what makes these people tick, why you think it's a good idea to vote for them?
Nothing like a good leftist sneer of a morning.

angelic upstart

Nothing like a good leftist sneer of a morning.
Nothing like a good non answer in the morning lolz

angelic upstart

The Trump thing is all a bit weird tbh. I'd imagine he's guilty of much, much worse than a bit of false accounting.

Those on his side will gladly overlook a ton of stuff that tell you he's a wrong un. Simply because he's a mate. See Jim Davidson sticking up for Gary Glitter for further reading.

Those against him will say this demonstrates no one is above the law and shows there's accountability. Yet, we all know that if you're wealthy enough in the US, you can literally get away murder. A bit of creative accounting for a few thousand in tax ain't cutting the mustard with me.

As ever, the ordinary people will decide which is right or wrong at the next election. My suspicion is the republicans using the witch hunt won't work and the Dems doing the "look we caught a big one" schtick will resonate better with the floating voter. But as always I know nothing.

iscalad

Even if he's found guilty, he is still able to stand in the next presidential election.

DB9

There are possible charges relating to 6th Jan, Listening to someone on LBC this morning and they said although complicated there are not many lawyers willing to represent him as many of his own had been ordered to give depositions to the Grand Jury, Also said although popular amongst Republicans the US population are getting a bit tired of all this but as we know it's a long time till Nov 2024 anything can happen and with Trump you just never know.

elginCity

Exactly. Populism in a nutshell. See also Johnson, Corbyn etc etc.

It is a good question, but you never get an answer. My guess would be, these people promise to build walls (or stop boats). It's as simple as that.

Grecian2K

Is Trump toast?
I'd say he's crackers rather than toast.

Spoonz Red E

Even if he's found guilty, he is still able to stand in the next presidential election.
His bigger threat will be if he's indicted for phoning the Georgia governor and demanding that he 'find' the number of votes needed to win the state.
The phone call is completely on record, the indictment would be brought by a Republican state (weakening the 'witch hunt' narrative) and the charge is much more serious than the New York one he is facing now.

State indictments are like Kryptonite to Trump because they cannot be overridden in future by Presidential pardons as given by him to assorted crooks a couple of years ago.

Alistair20000

It is a good question, but you never get an answer. My guess would be, these people promise to build walls (or stop boats). It's as simple as that.
Or they promise not to build walls then quietly renege ?