• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT : Easter Monday. The Posh v The Grecians. 3pm KO (Peterborough vs Exeter)

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Just seen the goals we let in and there appalling goals to give away really sloppy defending

Individual errors all over the shop even our goal there keeper threw in the net..

one to quickly forget looking at those highlights

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Agreed. We are going to undergo a change in the next few years, but I trust he will improve us as a club.
big call that , it’s still early days & he’s still finding his way IMO.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was glad to hear GC getting fed up with the awful defending because it’s beyond a joke now week in week out. But unfortunately our squad is so small we only 3 defenders. Grounds is not an option and diabete injured. So roll on summer and we can hopefully have a reset
It's so frustrating because against Bolton we had defended quite well then went to sleep and let them score with their first shot on goal. Then, yesterday, Peterborough didn't even need to have a shot on target before we had gifted them the lead.
We may not have any other central defenders available who could strengthen the team but we do have the option of either going to 4 at the back or changing the keeper. However, much as I'd love to see Harry Lee given a go it's probably too late for that now as making his first start in a Devon Derby would be a big ask.

lamrobhero

As someone who does not understand modern football - give me 442 anyday. 3 at the back seems vulnerable to speed on the wing and the ball in behind. The Sweeney Hartridge position seems the most demanding on the pitch - you have to able to mix it in the middle under the high ball, you have to be able to cover the flanks and you have to bring the ball out and initiate and support attacks and go up for set peices. For this reason I always cut them a bit of slack.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

Simba3011

Didn't Gary play a back 4 at Morecambe and people complained?

arthur

Didn't Gary play a back 4 at Morecambe and people complained?
I didn't. Reports that no-one plays four at the back any more because it's hopelessly outdated are greatly exaggerated. If 4 3 3 is good enough for Arsenal and Liverpool it's good enough for me.

Grecian Max

4 at the back wasn't going to stop Hartridge hopelessly swiping at the ball or Sweeney dive heading at Blackman

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
What has worried me most in recent games is an apparent lack of concentration, or at least regular momentary "switcching off". Surely it's drilled into all players, especially defenders, from age +/- 10, that they need to concentrate 100% whenever the ball is in the opponents's posession. IMO the seemingly old-fashioned Brian Clough matra "kick it into row Z" is still valid, or are we and everyone else so obsessed with playing the ball out of defence that we have neglected basic defending? We are not Manchester City!

C j phill

What has worried me most in recent games is an apparent lack of concentration, or at least regular momentary "switcching off". Surely it's drilled into all players, especially defenders, from age +/- 10, that they need to concentrate 100% whenever the ball is in the opponents's posession. IMO the seemingly old-fashioned Brian Clough matra "kick it into row Z" is still valid, or are we and everyone else so obsessed with playing the ball out of defence that we have neglected basic defending? We are not Manchester City!
John,

I've been posting about this for months and yet it still happens. I cant imagine it's not an issue that isnt part of the weekly coaching programme so it must be a player failure, with the same players showing the failure on a regular basis. I think this will be one of the factors that will determine the close season player departures and arrivals........