• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We didn't buy Harper.
Panic loan 😉

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Kegs cost the budget nothing which us why he's here. Agree Harper may have been a bit of a panic buy, but under Taylor he did get a run of games n look ok but tbh for the cost wasn't worth the outlay to what we got on the pitch, but certainly a better option on Saturday than Kegs

Although a different kind of midfielder, White just isn't ready
Agree, White has been a disappointment. However, on the basis of his sparkling 20-minute cameo against FGR, you can at least understand why GC took a punt on him. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree, White has been a disappointment. However, on the basis of his sparkling 20-minute cameo against FGR, you can at least understand why GC took a punt on him. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out.
White definitely has something about him, but he needs a season either in league 2 or the national League playing regularly. I just don't think he is anywhere near ready for league one football

Memphis09

I don't rate Harper as the Messiah. I would've gotten rid of him in January and used the money differently.

Just in relation to the game Saturday Harper was a better option ahead of Kegs and certainly ahead of White
Agree Harper on his day can be good problem is to many of days
By the way Kegs did well certainly the best of the midfield three

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't disagree. I guess I meant whether he'll be able to get us playing the type of football to which he aspires on a consistent-enough basis to, say, challenge for the play-offs. I recognise that's a high bar, but it seems to me that's the challenge Gary is setting himself.
In recent times (Tisdale and Taylor) our managers have done well but hit the glass ceiling of what our club is actually capable of (Taylor had the decency to move on, Tisdale just gave up, hanging onto his lucrative contract until his position became untenable). Its probable that any successful, ambitious manager will come to a similar conclusion after a period of time given our limitations. Get the feeling that GC still sees possibilities of improvement in the team and I welcome his aspirational hopes for the club and constant demands for improvement.
Had a good first half season and I expect him to be equally involved in building our future over the close season.
Done nothing wrong for me.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Serious question: how do we know whatever Rekeem might have been drinking was beer?!
Mainly because at 56 I can tell the difference between a lager and an orange juice :) I was looking straight at him

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, there was a conversation on another thread about Nombe's demeanour/body language. I did feel that again, he didn't seem quite himself on Saturday - looked a bit moody.

Played pretty well but was frustrating at times, seemed slow in getting back onside, must have been flagged at least 5 times? I think he will be sold in the summer.

Massive fan of Nombe, he's been an absolute gem but it seems quite clear his days with us are numbered.
He was injured in the first 10 mins looked like he turned his ankle after a tackle probably why he looked moody and was slower - still put in a hell of a shift and did well to last 90 Mins

lamrobhero

At the final whistle Nombe lay down on the ground.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just in relation to the game Saturday Harper was a better option ahead of Kegs and certainly ahead of White
I agree with this.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kegs played ok on Saturday but I don't want him back next season. White clearly has some ability and reminds me a bit of Alan Gow in how neatly he can turn his man and find space, he's just not as good as Gow - yet! Out of Harper, Kegs and White, if I had to take one for next season it would be White.