• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

ecfc2000

Solid rumour: A reliable source tells me Michael Jacobs (released by Pompey) has been in talks with Caldwell over a 1 year deal.
Thoughts on him from my Director, who's a ST holder at Fratton Park:
''Very good player. Probably been our most creative player over the past 2-3 years. However he suffers from injuries.....''

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thoughts on him from my Director, who's a ST holder at Fratton Park:
''Very good player. Probably been our most creative player over the past 2-3 years. However he suffers from injuries.....''
Always imagined that Caldwell would speak to him about a move here…I believe Northampton have been linked as well.

Re his injury record, he did play 39 times this season, which is fine. Admittedly not sure how many of those were starts.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always imagined that Caldwell would speak to him about a move here…I believe Northampton have been linked as well.

Re his injury record, he did play 39 times this season, which is fine. Admittedly not sure how many of those were starts.
Started 19 times last season (17 league starts)

The phenomenal stat is that Pompey lost only 2 of the 19 games he started.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

According to Soccerbase he's featured in 76 league games for Portsmouth in the last three seasons, but 36 of those 76 appearances have come off the bench.
As has been said, will be interesting to her what Sign of the Chimes has to say, but I'd be slightly concerned about signing someone who has averaged 12 league starts over the last three seasons.

Bridgy 81

I’m not familiar with Michael Jacobs but from what I’ve read he’s from Northamptonshire and started out at the Cobblers, so with their recent promotion they may be an attractive option for him.
I’ve also read he’s described as a left winger.
I suppose if that’s where he still plays it’d mean a change of formation for us, unless as he’s got older he’s moved more centrally as a creative midfielder?
Interestingly, before he moved to Gary Caldwell’s Wigan he was a League One Champion at Wolves 2013/14.
His colleague in that Wolves’ side would have been their Player’s and Fan’s Player of the Year and member of the PFA’s team of the season, Kevin McDonald 🙂

sign of the chimes

Could do with Sign of the Chimes view on this.
I suspect he/his people may well have been in touch with Caldwell - as others have said there's a Wigan link there. I'd say his time with us has been a disappointment overall. There have been some flashes of excellence across three seasons but it's all been quite stop/start with injuries and I'm not entirely sure he's actually as good as a number of our supporters think he has the potential to be - though he could definitely do a job for someone in L1. I wouldn't mark him down as a leader on the pitch but couldn't comment on what he's like with younger players in training, etc.

The reason I didn't include him in my post last night which named Hackett and Mingi was less about Jacobs' qualities or deficiencies rather that I had assumed he'd be off to Northampton or another L1 or L2 side around the midlands. The reason for that stems from his being linked with the Cobblers this time last year when they were in the playoffs (the expectation was that he'd leave us for them if they were promoted as he was out-of-contract last summer too). Additionally, there's the quote below from our director of football type, Rich Hughes, published a few days ago.

rich hughes said:
‘Michael’s a truly brilliant character, a pleasure to see when you come into work every day, and an effective footballer at this level. ‘However, he never moved his family down to Portsmouth - which is absolutely not a criticism - and wants to spend a bit more time in an area he calls home. So he's looking for an option which suits better geographically. ‘The family are based around Northampton way, Michael came through there as a youngster and I know it’s a club he holds a lot of affection for, so good luck to him wherever he turns up. ‘He had previously intimated this was important to him and we completely understand and respect that. He’s 31 and at a stage where he knows what he wants in his career. Everything was done amicably and positively, so we wish him all the best. ‘I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in another League One club next season and, whoever gets him, if they call myself, (John Mousinho) or Danny (Cowley), they'll get a good reference on Michael’s character. ‘I’m sure he will be successful wherever he ends up next season.’

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've heard he wants to move up north.

dontpassback

lets hope caldwell and maconald can persuade him that west is best

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dan Agyei out of contract at Crewe, but offered fresh terms. Could be worth us making him an offer…16 goals last season isn’t too shabby.
Wivey Grecian mentioned we have been tracking him

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Imagine preferring Northampton to anywhere...